Delmon Young, Also Not a Fan of Team Meeting

“I mean, they didn’t even have any food at this meeting… not shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger.”

I knew it. The day the Phillies signed Delmon Young, I said to myself, “Self, he is going to eat your unborn child.”

And then the next day, I said, “He is exactly the type of player to upset the team dynamic and his signing signals the end of the era of rainbows and sunshine.”

Here’s what Young had to say to Jordan Raanan about Ruben Amaro and Charlie Manuel’s raucous team meeting yesterday: [NJ.com]

“The rah-rah crap only works in the movies. It doesn’t matter what you say. The good clubs are going to go out and win ball games,” Young said. “You play the game. You play to win.”

“That’s maybe for ‘Rudy’ and a bunch of other movies,” Young said. “You could have rah-rahed the 2003 Tigers and they weren’t going to win any more games. And you can rah-rah the ’98 Yankees and they were still going to win the championship regardless because they were just that good.”

There it is. That is the official signaling of the end of days. I can’t really blame Young for being upset about what sounded like a pointless team meeting, but for seven years…

Screen Shot 2013-07-08 at 11.35.42 AM

… you would’ve been hard-pressed to find any player openly criticize the tactics of Charlie Manuel or the front office. In the last 24 hours, though, two players – Lee and Young – have made comments to or in front of reporters voicing their displeasure with a team meeting. This just isn’t going to end well, for anyone.

Bonus: Zoo With Roy has a fun Delmon Young-Rudy Photoshop.

1. Rah-Rah-Rahmember that time you through a bat at an ump? Good times.

Get this clown out of here and just play JMJ or Ruf…Hell play Galvis at 2nd and put Utley out there…he can’t be any worse then this dude defensively. Literally. I’m faster then him.

FACE

2. Crucify Wheels

July 8, 2013 at 11:55 am

Two things were going through Delmon’s mind during the meeting:

1) I’m Hungry
    2) I hate Jews

By the way Kyle, another good sign that it’s the end of an era is when your fanbase is excited when you call up a 27 year old rookie to take the place of a 33 year old physical disaster.

3. Diamond Dallas Page

July 8, 2013 at 11:56 am

I agree with Jew hater Delmon.

4. Philly fans need to hop off of Darin Bum's dick

July 8, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Still better than Darin Ruf

5. What did he say that was so inflammatory?

6. Big freaking deal. It appears the hand that feeds, is getting bit. I don’t agree that the “rah rah crap” only works for the movies. people are a creature driven by emotion and the moment. Rah rah crap does really work in sports. Delmon, go talk to B-Dawk about how useless all of his rah rah crap was over the years. I’d bet he’d be DL bound within minutes.

7. Crucify Wheels

July 8, 2013 at 12:41 pm

A good GM would have gotten that coug with the tits from Friday night to come in and offer the entire clubhouse a complimentary fellating with a side of bukkake.

8. Edward Murphy

July 8, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I seem to remember all last summer you were harping on “the end of days”. Then they put a run together later in the year and you were all over their collective dicks again. Now, this is the OFFICIAL signal of the end of days. Oy, I’m so confused.

9. Greg Luzinski

July 8, 2013 at 1:01 pm

God he’s so fat & is a statue in right field. He gives fat & defensive liability left fielders a bad name. I bet he can’t sing either.

10. Crucify Wheels

July 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Here’s some Delmon Young trivia for everyone: his father was one of the first African-American F-14 pilots in the US Navy, and Delmon thinks Hitler got bad press.

11. ThePhillyFlash

July 8, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Pfft. I could care less about anything Delmon Young has to say. If it weren’t for the kindness (a.k.a. stupidity) of the Phillies, he might be toiling on some crap team in South Korea like Manny Ramirez had been, or out of baseball altogether. Go away, you knucklehead.

12. love all the people torching Delmon in the comments above. do you even watch the Phillies? Delmon has been a huge part of preventing this team to tanking 10 games below .500 over the past several seasons. If anything, it’s great for the Phils that he’s been playing better only for the hope he can be flipped for a pick or some low level prospects.

Educate yourselves. Rube and Charlie deserve the criticism at this point. No team with this much talent on paper should be playing so inconsistently.

• *taking 10 games below .500 over the past several weeks.

Kyle… get an edit feature for your comments section.

• ThePhillyFlash

July 8, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Are you new here or what? Most people already know Ruben and Uncle Charlie have shit the bed something awful and need to be removed. Meanwhile, Delmon Young is a turd no one outside of Citizens Bank Park wanted from day one, and the chances of his being flipped for a pick or some low level prospects are about as good as my having sex with Beyonce tonight. In other words, less than none.

• Delmon has been swinging the bat really well recently. Over his last 11 games, he’s hitting .452 with 10 RBIs. No reason that an AL team wouldn’t at least consider him as a potential DH.

You can’t tell me that the Rangers wouldn’t take a flyer on this guy possibly – they’re currently prepping Manny in the minors and Berkman (current DH) just went on the DL.

Look at Young’s numbers pre and post 150 ABs for the past 4-5 seasons… pretty substantial difference in most years as well.

Stats don’t lie.

• Crucify Wheels

July 8, 2013 at 1:52 pm

He’s been hot at the plate recently but really who cares? This team is going nowhere and Young will be long gone before we sniff the playoffs again. So yeah I’ll continue to pick on the fat anti-Semite with lead hands because there’s nothing better to do this season.

• ThePhillyFlash

July 8, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Hey, if somebody wants to take Fatboy Delmon off our hands for anything more than a dozen baseballs and a used jock, I’ll be a happy camper, I just don’t think that’ll happen. Stats don’t mean shit if a player is a scumbag off the field or a cancer in the clubhouse and teams decide he’s not worth the trouble, regardless of whatever numbers he puts up, otherwise, another team would’ve signed Young before the Phillies did.

• Crucify Wheels

July 8, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Rickey Henderson played on 9 different teams so I’m not sure GMs care as much about scumbaggery as we do. But I think my favorite thing about Delmon is that he’s only 10 months older than future ROtY Darin Ruf!

• I’m not sure if you watch the Phils at all. First, Delmon has been here half of this season only. Not sure how he was helping the Phils from tanking 10 games under.500 the past few seasons when he wasn’t on the team lol. (You fixed it but I’m pretty sure you didn’t know)

Also, saying that this team is too talented to be this inconsistent. I think you are mistaking the talent. Team is too old. Strikeout too much and don’t play fundamental baseball.

Chooch had 1 good offensive year in which he cheated. Howard is injured and a shell of himself. Chase is old but still above avg. jimmy is a 260 hitter. M. Young has an empty average and boots a ball a game at third. Dom has been a pleasant surprise. Revere is finally hitting which is nice. RF is a joke but Delmon has been hitting recently. Still doesn’t make up for the runs he costs the pitchers by not being able to make easy plays in the field.

1 ace, 1 semi-ace, 1 KK who has been solid, 2 unknown young avg pitchers. No pen at all with a nutjob closer who seems to have figured out his issues.

That all correlates to a team that will be streaky and inconsistent. Hover around .500, whether above or below but with no realistic shot at winning a WS.

13. *tanking

FUCK. that was not on purpose.

14. That Whimpy Deer?!

July 8, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Nobody cares what this plug has to say about anything

15. Legitimately laughed out loud at this line: ‘The day the Phillies signed Delmon Young, I said to myself, “Self, he is going to eat your unborn child.”’

16. Thanks for shgnira. What a pleasure to read!