Evan Mathis Completely Punked the Media, Again

Voila_Capture 2014-06-13_08-41-06_AM Voila_Capture 2014-06-13_08-41-19_AM

Last night, not more than 12 hours after making fun of the Sporting News’ coverage of Lane Johnson’s $17k Del Frisco’s rookie dinner bill, Evan Mathis tweeted yet another bill from the steak joint, this one totaling over $64k. His caption: Teaching rookies a lesson…

He was trolling the media, hard.*

The bat signal had been shone above the ivory tower, and the righteous immediately took to the web machine to opine:

Voila_Capture 2014-06-13_08-14-02_AM

Voila_Capture 2014-06-13_08-45-03_AM Voila_Capture 2014-06-13_08-14-13_AM Voila_Capture 2014-06-13_08-14-22_AM

Howard Eskin, weirdly, turned his ire toward Del Frisco’s themselves:

Voila_Capture 2014-06-13_08-16-54_AM

And easily the best response of all, the Sun Sentinel:

Voila_Capture 2014-06-13_08-10-44_AM

Hook, line and sinker.

Mathis has been known to bait, troll and generally mess with the media and society in general through Twitter and other means. In April, he tricked Paul Domowitch into reporting that he wouldn’t be attending voluntary offseason workouts by sending Domo a screenshot of a map pin inTurks and Caicos. He once pissed on the IRS building. And he poked fun at Jason Peters’ signing bonus.

This morning, we got the prestige:

Voila_Capture 2014-06-13_08-38-33_AM Voila_Capture 2014-06-13_08-38-45_AM

Bravo.

His buddy, Jason Kelce, explained to the WIP Morning Show today just how much work went into the hoax:

“This was a complete hoax [laughing] that was designed by Evan Mathis to mislead the media across the nation,” Kelce said on Friday morning. “Apparently, it did its job. He spent all day making sure the prices were right, making sure everything looked good.”

*He got me, too, by (impressively) digging up a screenshot of a douchey Tweet I sent over a year ago. But he’s since deleted that one.

1. Calling Bullshit

June 13, 2014 at 8:51 am

Hey guys, seriously lay off imitating me in the comments section here. I’ve contributed so much to this site, and I don’t feel comfortable having my reputation squashed by a bunch of assholes writing as me.

2. The anagram on the side says ROCKPAPER SCISSORSROSHAMBO

3. The first letters of each of the items spell out ROCK-PAPER-SCISSORS-ROSHAMBO

4. Candy from the Oak

June 13, 2014 at 9:13 am

A better trick would have been a black Eagle tipping over 4%

5. Call me pie face one more time on here.

6. Sean brace is a bald, pie faced wigger

7. “He spent all day making sure the prices were right, making sure everything looked good.”

Once again, proving the commentors’ point that these are 2 douches with nothing better to do.

Oh, they got us. They got us bad. And I’m sure everyone here will repent and never again say a bad word about these 2 pillars of the Eagles’ offensive line.

Nah, they’re still douches.

8. Not Sean Brace

June 13, 2014 at 9:47 am

Seriously though on the Lane Johnson tab Delfrisco’s couldn’t comp the sodas at least for the Philadelphia Eagles as a sign of good will? Cheapskates.

9. Eating Food With JFK

June 13, 2014 at 9:49 am

Eatingfoodwithjfk.wordpress.com

10. Kelce's Green OD Shirt

June 13, 2014 at 9:59 am

;(

11. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

June 13, 2014 at 10:00 am

Great story please write at least 10 more posts about it

12. Kelce's Green OD Shirt

June 13, 2014 at 10:00 am

Of course eskin takes the bait

13. I love this team more and more each day.

14. Kyle, I saw on twitter that you have a sick dog on your hands. I sincerely hope your pup gets to feeling better soon. A sick pet is the worst, but at least yours is young and probably just had a bad reaction to the recent procedure. Good luck.

P.S. You may now commence trolling my handle.

15. Kyle, your dog was munching on a squirrel the other day and there are a glut of assholes poisoning squirrels this year for some reason, sorry to hear it, get her to the vet asap. Just went through this myself. Best of luck…

• Kyle,

MM is right. Make sure the vet knows that the dog may have bitten a poisoned squirrel. The poison (probably rat poison) can kill the dog as well, even second hand.

16. The Media's twat

June 13, 2014 at 10:36 am

Everyone needs to go read the “Article” on PFT and see how butt hurt Mike Florio is about this, sounds like a huge jit-bag.

17. I’m pretty far over the Mathis/Kelce/Barwin bro-fest. However, I did like the 1 Iced Tea for $4 on the bill.

18. I can’t believe how immature this is. How am I supposed to take an athlete at his word when he says things that aren’t true?

That would be like posting a story on my website without any real sources or checking to verify its true. It’s also like posting a story that isnt true, then spending a couple weeks trying to show everyone that everyone else thought it was true, so it must be.