Morning Wood: If You Have an Inning That Lasts Longer Than 40 Minutes, Seek Immediate Medical Attention

Screen shot 2011-06-22 at 9.43.28 AM

Whoa.

The Phillies scored nine runs in the top of the 8th inning… without getting an extra base hit. They had five singles, four walks, and two batters hit by pitches. The Cardinals used five pitchers who threw a combined 64 pitches. The inning lasted 43 minutes, or, as reader Matt Reilly pointed out on Twitter, about the time it would take to speed from the Walt Whitman Bridge to Atlantic City. The AC Special, if you will. Edited video of the inning here.

I submit that we call this type of game the "Drunk LaRussa": Any game in which an opposing manager makes a bonehead pitching decision (in this case, bringing in a righty to face Ryan Howard) that backfires on him. Bonus points if he gets a DUI later in the evening.

For all the figurative handjobs the national media gives LaRussa, this guy does some really dumb things. He somehow thinks he's smarter than the game. He routinely bats the pitcher 8th, last night put a righty in to face Ryan Howard- yet he always escapes criticism.

Charlie Manuel: [CSN Philly]

“I’ve seen a lot,” he said. “I’ve seen some good ones, some bad ones, and some rainouts. I’ve seen tie games and the lights go out. I’ve seen a whole lot of crap and I’ll probably see a whole lot more. That was a little different though.”

Tony LaRussa: [Phillies.com]

"I don't know what happened in the eighth inning," manager Tony La Russa said. "It's just one of those days."

One of those days when your manager puts in a right-handed pitcher to face the most powerful left-handed hitter in the game. Dope.

X-rays on Placido Polanco were negative.

Vance Worley will start on Friday.

Paul Hagen uses his big, thick glasses to put the Phillies hitting issues into perspective.

Another reminder for our $10 all you can eat and drink tailgate on Saturday.

Finally, the Marine Colonel who joked about killing Roy Halladay. Video of Halladay's post-game presser – sans tank wound – right here.

• ThePhillyFlash June 22, 2011 at 10:28 am

Man! That was easily one of THE weirdest half-innings of baseball I have EVER seen in my life, and I’ve seen more than my fair share of crazy stuff. That wasn’t a win for the Phillies last night, that was a gift, handed to us on the proverbial silver platter by Tony LaRussa, the God of Managing who insists on showing the world he invented the game, only to have his half-assed strategy blow up in his face, and last night, it was BOOM goes the dynamite to the tenth power. Thank you, Tony! Can we have another tonight? And tomorrow?

• Adam June 22, 2011 at 10:39 am

I echo the sentiments of phillyflash… larussa tries to do things against the grain just hoping that the 1 in 1000000000000 chance that it would work and make him look like a genius….the 99.9% fail rate is written off as “one of those days” the one time it works its “genius”, give me a break tony

• ThePhillyFlash June 22, 2011 at 11:28 am

By the by, I had to chuckle at Tony having said he “didn’t know what happened in the eighth inning”. Bullcrap! He knew what happened alright…he screwed up! However, I stand a better chance of doing the horizontal boogie with Beyonce than hearing the God of Managing admit to having made a mistake.

• Erik Lambertsen June 22, 2011 at 11:36 am

Ryan Howard’s Power < Fielder, Bruce, Ortiz, Granderson's Power Sad to say, Ryan really isn't one of the games great power hitters anymore. He's just an average one with a low, well, average.

• Erik Lambertsen June 22, 2011 at 11:37 am

P.S. Those hitters above are all lefthanded.

• nightscape94 June 22, 2011 at 11:44 am

The only thing funny about what the Colonel said was the idea that a tank could somehow destroy Halladay. He would break the tank’s face right off with a cutter in on the barrel.

• Kyle Scott June 22, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Erik, you can’t be serious about Ortiz and Granderson. Stop it.

• Michael Martinez June 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I even got on base baby

• Chase Utley June 22, 2011 at 3:53 pm

when i found out my single scored Michael Martinez, i was in shock he was on base

• Charlie Manuel June 22, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I was in shock he was still on the team.

• buy zyprexa online June 23, 2011 at 9:56 am

Whoa. The Phillies scored nine runs in the top of the 8th inning… without getting an extra base hit. They had five singles, four walks, and two batters hit by pitches. The Cardinals used five pitchers who threw a combined 64 pitches. The inning lasted 43 minutes, or, as reader Matt Reilly pointed out on Twitter, about the time it would take to speed from the Walt Whitman Bridge to Atlantic City. The AC Special, if you will. Edited video of the inning here. I submit that we call this type of game the Drunk LaRussa: Any game in which…