The Flyers Signed a 35-Year-Old Defenseman to a Four-Year, $21 Million Contract Today

What should we do when we’re fired?

The Flyers reached an agreement with trade-for-and-sign Mark Streit today– four years, $21 million, according to Darren Dreger. That will make Streit the Flyers’ second-highest paid defenseman next year behind Old Man Timonen.

As Dreger notes, this all but assures that the Flyers amnesty both Danny Briere and Ilya Bryzgalov… in fact, they may not even be able to announce the deal with Streit until after they do so (because they’re already over the cap). I sometimes I have no idea what this team is doing.

• Bube Amaro June 17, 2013 at 6:42 pm

“My left hand doesn’t know what my right hand is doing!”

• Junkhead June 17, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Well, the Flyers were desperate for defensemen and leadership and they may have gotten both with Streit, a former captain in the league.
    His age isn’t ideal, but many offensive defensemen seem to be able to play into their late 30’s (off the top of my head, Nick Lidstrom, Ray Borque, Rob Blake).

• ThePhillyFlash June 17, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I’m sure the Flyers had the same idea in mind when they signed Chris Pronger who was over 30 when he was signed to a sizeable deal. Sadly, that story didn’t at all end well. I can only hope lightning doesn’t strike twice with Streit.

• Gray June 18, 2013 at 12:34 pm

That had nothing to do with Pronger’s age, getting hit in the eye with an errant stick and suffering a major, life altering cocncusion had nothing to do with his over 35-contract. Stop that.

• Thomas E Merchen June 17, 2013 at 7:23 pm

The idiot Junkhead above me just compared Mark Streit to 3 of the all time best nhl defensemen. What a moron pussy

• Junkhead June 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm

You need a course in reading comprehension. I used them as examples of offensive defensemen who played into their late 30’s, early 40’s. Never compared Streit to those players as far as skill or talent.
      But thanks for adding so much to this post.

• 3 Finger Lenny June 17, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Typical homer & Eddie “cheap shit” Snider move signing an old bat defenseman who’s best days are behind him. Team will never win shit

• Lafferty, Daniel June 17, 2013 at 9:46 pm

A 35-year-old defenseman who just had a great year. He’s only been the league for seven years and he certainly doesn’t look like he’s getting sluggish.

• Rangers fan stuck in Philly June 17, 2013 at 10:32 pm

What’s up with the flyers always signing old defenseman? Lol

• Kyle June 17, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Streit will come in as the flyers best offensive d-man and quarterback on the power play right out of the gate. I really like him as a players but of course we have to worry about the whole salary cap debacle this team has put itself in.

• Terrible Signing June 18, 2013 at 12:54 am

This team is going no where fast.

• You Will All LOVE Streit June 18, 2013 at 1:37 am

look at kimmo’s durability – Streit is much of the same and the guy inarguably has NHL talent

• Sean Coombs June 18, 2013 at 6:22 am

I have always had Homer’s back but this is purely ridiculous. We had a chance to amnesty the two contracts mentioned and maybe spend the money wisely. From mediocre to wishing we were mediocre….maybe they are planning on playing down for next year’s number one pick.

• B June 18, 2013 at 7:38 am

Can we bring Jagr back too?

• Mike Smeck June 18, 2013 at 8:08 am

cant figure out why most here dont like this move……yes, a little older and more expensive than you’d like but they’ll clear the space by dumping Briere and Bryz (and they’ll be no worse off, to say the least…..sorry Danny) and plenty of D men excel at his age–will upgrade their D a good bit, which they badly need, with a good player/captain who can fill a leadership role in the locker room too-Meszaros is good but hard to count on so he’ll be gone (more cap $)–gives them time to draft a Dman or two and let them develop–whats the problem?

• Perv Starey June 18, 2013 at 9:09 am

Hey Kyle, can we start a Broad Street Bullies death pool? It won’t be until they’re all gone that this franchise will be set free from their mentality and able to win again, so we might as well be entertained in the interim.

• Kyle is the meat in a Carter/Richards sandwich June 18, 2013 at 9:24 am

Boys have a penis and girls have a vagina.

• Bobrovsky June 18, 2013 at 9:44 am

Just what the flyers need, another 35 yr old Dman making 5 million a year. Should of given Matt Carle the same contract last year. Prediction: Homer signs a no talent enforcer to 3 year 6 million deal.

• John Wayne June 18, 2013 at 10:11 am

The Hurricanes have some interest in dealing their 1st rd pick (#5 overall) and they are looking for a puck moving blue liner. Im sure they need to get to the cap floor as they probably dont spend enough…Having Streit under such a contract as has been reported could accomplish some of that. So my thinking is that we package up Streit & Read for the 5th pick. Of course, I would have no problem getting them to agree to such a deal, because I’m John Fucking Wayne…Homer may have a harder time.

• OneManWolfpack June 18, 2013 at 10:18 am

Can’t wait til Thanksgiving when all the band wagoners are saying how good Streit has been. Who did u want them to sign? They’re gonna amnesty Bryz. That should be enough to make EVERYONE happy. I would gladly take Streit’s contract and ditch Bryz any day. Calm the fuck down everybody

• John Wayne June 18, 2013 at 10:32 am

Hey I like the guy as a player and he hasn’t got a lot of wear on him like Kimmo. Kimmo’s been playing longer seasons on average b/c we’re consistently in the playoffs (this year excluded obviously). Streit hasnt had to play many postseasons as an Islander so that saves some tread life. That said, I would jump at the chance to make a deal that involves a package of Streit and someone else for a higher draft pick WITHOUT dealing away our own first rounder.

• tone June 18, 2013 at 10:40 am

This team overvalues every player.

• bean June 18, 2013 at 10:43 am

An old guy with very little playoff experience…awesome.

• ray ban gold aviators June 21, 2013 at 12:04 am

I just could not go away your site prior to suggesting that I really loved the standard information a person supply for your visitors? Is going to be again continuously to investigate cross-check new posts

• céline shoes July 6, 2013 at 11:23 am

I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this website. Reading this information So i am glad to show that I have an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I so much no doubt will make sure to do not overlook this website and give it a look a continuing basis|regularly}.

• céline bosquet July 6, 2013 at 11:24 am

Can I simply just say what a relief to find a person that genuinely understands what they’re discussing over the internet. You certainly realize how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of your story. I can’t believe you are not more popular because you definitely have the gift.