Oh My God, All the Donovan McNabb Interviews are Coming Out Today, and This One is Vicious

I guess the embargo on McNabb quotes was lifted today. First the Daily News released excerpts from their sit-down with Former Five. And now Philly Mag has done the same.

McNabb spoke with Richard Rys last month for an interview that will run in the September issue of Philadelphia Magazine. It covered a myriad topics, including the Super Bowl, being booed, when McNabb found out he was traded, and much, MUCH more. Shots at Angelo Cataldi, Mike Missanelli, Howard Eskin, Bernard Hopkins and, of course, T.O. And a weird thing about Michael Jordan being responsible for his broken ankle.

McNabb just wanted to be one of the boys with his air guitar:

There was the Michael Jackson “Thriller” dance, picking up the phone on the sideline against the Giants. And the one that bothered people the most …

The air guitar. This is the thing people don’t understand. I brought the air guitar out at training camp. Everybody loved it. Leonard Weaver had the drums, DeSean Jackson was rapping. It was like a band. We were having a good time. When I brought the air guitar out in the playoffs, that wasn’t to throw it in anybody’s face. That was me showing that we’re loose. If we’d have won the game, wouldn’t nobody have said nothing about the air guitar. We’d just lost to Dallas [the week before] because I felt like we came into that game thinking too much of the result. The whole week, it was, Let’s get back to being who we are. Let’s be loose. And people took it—he’s not focused. You can hate me all you want to. When I’m on that field, I couldn’t care less.

Yeah, I’m sure DeSean thought you guys were “a band.” And I’m not sure Weave thinks. But yeah, everybody loved it.

This is just weird:

You didn’t have any idea how bad it was during the game?

No. I’d never broken anything, never had surgery. They said they can put a pin in it, you’ll be back in three to four weeks. We were on our playoff run. So my mom came in, she’s a registered nurse, and I’m like, “I’m not just jumping to surgery—nobody cuttin’ on me.” What’s the other option? We can let it heal itself. That would be six to eight. My mom’s like, “We’re not having surgery. I’m not having my son, 20 years from now, going through metal detectors and having to get scanned with a plate and screws in his foot.” Didn’t have surgery. It healed cleanly. After the game, I went to the [Washington] Wizards game and said to Mike [Jordan], “Where were my shoes? I broke my ankle, man.”

So it was Michael Jordan’s fault you broke your ankle.
I told him that. He said, “You did what? I’m sorry.”

Blames 2005 on everybody wanting to be a star:

What went wrong?

Everybody wanted to be a star. That’s the problem with a lot of teams. When you make it to the Super Bowl, all of the sudden, everybody feels like, “This is my chance.” Everybody had websites, everybody was doing TV segments or shows. Everybody’s doing other things.

This coming from the guy in the Chunky Soup commercial and on the cover of video games.

And next, a trifecta of I played well in the Super Bowl! But don’t judge Super Bowls! Everybody wants Super Bowls!

You threw two touchdowns, but do you still think about the three interceptions?

All the time. The first one to Westbrook, we had him. Then it faded on me. The second one, I think Teddy Bruschi might have intercepted while I was trying to squeeze one in there to T.O. Those stay with you. When you pass for 357 yards, that’s like the second highest or third highest in the Super Bowl. And we were right there. But one thing I’ve always said—I don’t think football players should be remembered by the Super Bowls that you win. You get measured by your legacy. Wins and losses, yards, the way you changed the game.

The perception of you seemed to shift among the fans after the Super Bowl. Did you feel that?

There was a shift because the team was different. Some fans blamed me, and they loved T.O.—it was Donovan’s fault. But as a quarterback, that’s what you go through. Blame the quarterback, blame the coach. What was funny, when everyone was saying “Donovan’s not doing this or that,” we won 10 or 11 games. We were in the playoffs. People got so accustomed to making it to the playoffs, it wasn’t how many games we were going to win. It was what we did in the playoffs. “It’s Super Bowl or bust this year.” Yeah, it’s Super Bowl or bust for everybody.

I feel nauseous.

The kind face he put on for Dawkins’ ceremony? Yep. Just that– a kind face. He was pissed:

Did your time with Washington and Minnesota give you a different perspective on the Eagles?

I never forgot what happened in Philadelphia. Those were great years. I would have loved to have had another couple years after that and just say “Thank you, I’m done.” But it didn’t happen that way. I sold my house when I got traded. Never even touched foot in Philadelphia until I played there as a Washington Redskin. I hadn’t even been back to the facility until Brian Dawkins retired. It was a sour day for me. I was pissed off to go, but [Brian’s] like my brother. I went for my brother. I felt the same as Brian—you turned your back on me. You basically pointed the finger at me. Things haven’t been right in Philadelphia since [I left].

Things haven’t been right in Philadelphia since. Oh the ego.

And here comes some more:

On the day you were drafted, you mentioned breaking down barriers; your agent, Fletcher Smith, made race an issue in your rookie contract negotiation. How much do you think race was a factor in how you were perceived throughout your career?

It’s been a part. What percentage, I don’t know. Do I care? No. But it’s been a part. Look at the numbers. Look at wins and losses; look at the success rate of the team compared to whoever else you want. Angelo Cataldi can say anything he wants and people will call in—rah-rah-rah. Mike Missanelli—[another guy] that can’t stand me. Do I care? No. Howard Eskin. Bernard Hopkins. Bernard, you’re about 50 years old and you’re still bringing me up something that happened over 10 years ago? That means I’m somehow relevant to you or people around you. My legacy is still growing. So for Howard Eskin on Fox 29 to bring me up to Bernard Hopkins? Bernard brings my name up to make his fights relevant. Why you still talking about me? Because my name still resonates.

Well, that should go over well on talk radio tomorrow. This is the Hopkins interview McNabb is talking about. Someone get Damon Feldman on the phone– we have a boxing match to promote. Hell, I’ll even fight David Murphy as the undercard.

I’ll just let McNabb play himself out:

What do you imagine September 19th will be like, when you retire?
I don’t know. I remember being there with Brian for his press conference. I almost got emotional for him. I can’t promise you I won’t get emotional. Nobody has ever seen that side of me. To see Brian reflect on that, talk about our friendship—I was like, “Fuck, 11 years being here.” Then when they said nobody will ever wear number 20, which was well deserved, that is special. Then I heard they would do that for me. On my radio show, [NBC Sports host] Eric Kuselias asked me: Who would you put on Mt. Rushmore for Philadelphia? To me, it would be Reggie White, Chuck Bednarik, Tommy McDonald and Harold Carmichael. If we had five heads, Dawkins. There’s a lot of people I’d put on there before me. I’ve never been a “me” guy. I’ve always been a team guy.

How do you think the fans will react?
I was asked that question when I was in Washington [before playing the Eagles at the Linc]. I didn’t know. They gave me a standing ovation. They booed when the offense came out, which I expected. But the standing ovation was special. It made me realize—they appreciate what happened. The fat guy [Reid] will be there. It will be a chance to say goodbye to the fans and shake the hand of the guy who took a chance on me in ’99. And I’ll get to tell Doug [Pederson] thank you. He was like a doormat my rookie year, like I was in Minnesota. The 19th is fun, man. I might bring the air guitar.

The city would go up in flames.
It probably would. But I’ve set Philly on fire for so long. [laughs]

Read the full thing here.

You can get tickets to that Chiefs game right here.

• lib4 July 24, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I had about a smidgen of respect for Donovan prior to reading this article today at 5:24 p.m. I will never ever respect him ever again. I was ready to give him the Ovation he deserved after 11 years of work here. well you can forget that now

He’s made it a million times worse when he comes back in September

F you dude

• Tripod Larry July 24, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Since you capitalized “Ovation” you must mean you were gonna give him an Ovation guitar to replace the air guitar. I guess since you aren’t giving it to him, McNabb’s got no other choice but to break out the air guitar.

• Phil July 24, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Look everyone, we all hate this nation persona of Philly fans being hateful and unappreciated…here is our moment out moment to show the rest of the nation that we are better then throwing snowballs at Santa Claus and I ask all of you and Kyle, as a figure head of some sort in this city, to smarten up and lets give Donavon and Andy the true appreciation they deserve for the 15 or so years of their endless hard work and dedication, because like it or not these guys are our franchise faces best QB and Coach….ps Andy brought us Jim Johnson so booing him is like Booing JJ so

• FACE July 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Agreed. Stand and cheer for the people who made this team relevant.

• James July 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm

A-fuckin-men….You have assholes booing him on draft day (cause look how well the others in that draft panned out), the very first day he became an eagle, and people are SSTILL on this witch hunt to shit all over him like 4 years after he left the team…Its nuts…But sure people, you guys keep scowering any article about him and keep taking every miniscule innocuois quote out of contest–just dont bitch the next time you hear some national figure bashing us for being barbaric assholes.

• David Murphy July 24, 2013 at 6:11 pm

You won’t fight me you wuss.

• Fat TC from GnA July 24, 2013 at 6:16 pm

D Mac is an Uncle Tom

• FACE July 24, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Philly is no harder to play in then any other major city.

I will stand and cheer for the best qb in the history of our franchise when he is honored. McNabb was a great qb. I’m tired of the hate.

• MMMMMWaffles July 25, 2013 at 10:55 am

The already honored the best QB in franchise history the day they put Cunningham on the wall. If you think McNabb was better than Randall, you dont know football.

• Bylsma Rhymes With Vagina July 26, 2013 at 7:24 am

Really?

Cunningham
        11 yrs 63 wins-43 losses -1 tie 1874 comp. 3362 att 55.7 comp % 22877 yds 150 tds 105 ints 0-3 playoff record 4X ProBowl 1X All Pro

McNabb
        11 yrs 92 wins 49 losses 1 tie 2801 comp. 4746 att 59.0 comp% 32873 yds 216 tds 100 ints 9-7 playoff record 6X ProBowl NFC Champion

Try again, asshat.

• Wow, SOME of U R what gets Philly the Bad Rap August 24, 2013 at 11:00 am

Try looking at the FACTS and STATS. Agree w/ the stats presented by Bylsma:

McNabb (this guy deserves your ridicule and disdain?)

Kyle Scott, you & your kind truly make Philly look bad for this weird fabricated hate of a man who by all logical and factual accounts brought practically double the wins vs. loss to your town, a SB, and never once did anything off the field to embarrass you guys (beyond what was manufactured about him – oh horrors, soup spokesman, oh the humanity, the man wanted to have a longer career by not scrambling so much, really, just really? Rush “racist” Dingbat criticized him so that will stick?). Ryan Braun doped up and lied as well as tried to frame someone else, Ray Lewis/Hernandez were/are accused of murder, how many other players were arrested? Yet you hate this man? You take time to nitpick and twist his words around? SOME say his crime was that he didn’t speak up enough, but when he does, his words are dissected and twisted like this article? That kind of irrational hate is what perpetuates stereotype that Philly fans are a hateful set of non fans, the kinds that you say, w/ fans like these, who needs enemies?

• Stugsaritaville July 24, 2013 at 6:34 pm

He’s Delusional.

• Lafferty, Daniel July 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Philadelphia fans want so badly to hate a Top 10 all-time Eagle (and arguably the best quarterback) and wonder why every other city despises the fan base.

• T-Bone July 25, 2013 at 7:55 am

No, the fans hate a player who would have been a God here if he had the right attitude. Think Dawkins, Clarke, Schmidt, or Barkley.

Also he’s proven the fans right that he was an overrated QB with inflated stats and record, the product of a pass happy head coach and an amazing defense and defensive coordinator. If you need proof of that, just look at his stats with the Skins and Vikings.

• Jay July 25, 2013 at 8:48 am

A pass happy coach who had him throwing the ball to James Thrash and Todd Pinkston for most of his career. Clearly it was their unparalleled skill that got mcnabb his undeserved stats. And how can you even bring up washington and Minnesota? He went to two bad teams at the end of his career.

ANd his attitude? Sure he put his foot in his mouth at times, but Just because he didnt kneel down to the half of the city that hated and shit all over him from day 1 doesnt mean he didnt have a winning attitude. What a superficial and egotistical statement thst is about his attitude…Were basically saying as a fan base, we could care less about his achievement unless he bows down to us off the field. Forget his onfield play, lets judge him by his performance on the podium. People act like he holds a grudge, yet seem to ignore the blatant hypocrisy in that trolling posts like this, that bash him and blow his quotes way out of context, are still coming out even as hes about to retire with us. Grow up people.

• T-Bone July 25, 2013 at 11:19 am

Hold on, don’t give me that shit about half the city hating him from day one. 10 Assholes boo’ed because they had a hard on for Ricky Williams. This city loved him from his rookie season, every day there were calls on 610 to bring in McNabb. That Philly love hit a precipice when he had that 4 touchdown game on a broken ankle.

You want to complain about the receiver core he had, go ahead, lord knows McNabb complained about it.

• CJ July 24, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Please explain what was offensive or ridiculous about what he said because there’s nothing there. Seriously, what the fuck? The dude didn’t win a superbowl. Everyone needs to get over it. He’s a bit self-directed but he was the starting QB on a team that got pretty close. It says more about this fan base that offense can be manufactured based in what is printed here than anything mcnabb has said pretty much ever.

It is fair question about BHop. Mcnabb wasn’t a dick about Dawkins but seemed to be happy for him. This fan base loves to listen to mcnabb talk and then try to convert what he says into something else. And I loathe the guy.

• Lafferty, Daniel July 25, 2013 at 12:44 am

There was nothing ridiculous or offensive. This post was a troll trying to get fed.

• Crucify Wheels July 24, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Fuck McNabb and his “era”. Did we win a Superbowl? No. The highlight of this twat’s career is a toss up between 4th&26th, selling soup and puking on live TV. If it wasn’t for Jim Johnson, Andy & Donnie wouldn’t have even gotten to all those Championship games to lose.

• Matt July 25, 2013 at 1:36 am

This guy will never be able to say anything without people taking it in the worst possible way. He’s nowhere near perfect, but he’s also nowhere near as bad as people portray him. The commentary in this article is way, way overinflated relative to what he actually said…would love to go point by point and share my views on his comments but…well, that probably wouldn’t matter. The dude just literally can’t win around these parts.

• Your Mother July 25, 2013 at 8:35 am

I love what Mcnabb did for Philly. I also don’t fault him for losing the big game. Andy Reid is to blame imo. I’d throw up too if the defense of the Pats knew every single move you make before you make them. Andy never picked up on that fact, and he should have. Andy also (as usual) had poor clock management for this game.

McNabb’s biggest downfall in this city was his constant whining about how he was marginalized in this city because of his race. As if I don’t see 500 White, Dawkins, and Cunningham jerseys at every game. This city absolutely LOVES Cunningham. Think about that McNabb, think about it. You, a better career QB has a lower reputation in this city than Cunningham does. Think about why THAT is.

• Abe Lincoln July 25, 2013 at 8:37 am

Is #5, statistically speaking, the best quarterback the Eagles have ever had? Yes. So I will give credit where credit is due. I will also mention in the same breath that he was throwing the ball about a gazillion times during his days in the Midnight Green. His stats are inflated just like his ego.

Then people will say, “Well, look at those stats that he put up with the caliber of players he had around him.” This is very true as well. Guys like James Thrash, Na Brown and Todd Pinkston are not what you call superstars. It wasn’t until T.O. that he had a bonafide weapon. He was a stud that year and played at an MVP type level. But again the aforementioned ego of his reared its ugly head. He got jealous. He got whiny. The spotlight wasn’t on him and he didn’t like that.

At the end of the day, when the dust clears, Mr. McNabb is nothing more than a good quarterback with great stats because of the system he played in. His ego and ginormous mouth will forever overshadow his play. He was never a winner, still isn’t a winner and never will be one because of interviews like this one. Oh, yeah, did I mention that he vomited in the Super Bowl? Loser.

Lincoln. Out.

• AL Tru July 25, 2013 at 10:38 am

Had a friend worked for the Eagles org. field and locker room. was told by mgmt not to comment on team goings on etc.
    After the NFC game vs Tampa Bay, he told his brother, “I shouldn’t be telling you this, all during the game, Childress kept telling Reid ” I CANT BELIEVE HE MISSED THE OPEN MAN”
    Jeff Garcia worked that offense better than McNabb.
    ” Jeff Garcia is no longer an Eagle because of the ego of one man”
    – Hugh Douglas

• Homer July 25, 2013 at 11:05 am

He’s stll the greatest QB in the history of the Eagles.

• AL Tru July 25, 2013 at 11:44 am

That’s not saying much….Reaves, Arrington,Gabriel,Hoying,Vince Young,

Jaws stood in there and was a warrior. Jim Mcmahon was a leader.

Stats are for fantasy football.

• Bylsma Rhymes With Vagina July 26, 2013 at 7:39 am

That’s not saying much….Reaves, Arrington,Gabriel,Hoying,Vince Young

Easy to cherry pick the worst in franchise history. I guess that works for you.

Jaws stood in there and was a warrior.

And delivered and even WORSE playoff performance in the Supe….but he’s “warrior”. Why? Because LT tattooed his ass enough to make his own highlight film? Dude was one of the most overrated and inconsistent QB’s of his era. Had TERRIBLE playoffs. Its not even close. But he’s a “warrior” because pinheads like this imp that take this moronic approach that he “stood in there” (like a mythical movie character), he deserves more respect than what he actually accomplished. Fuckin idiots.

• Maxie July 25, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I have to give him props though for giving a shout out to that major asshole and other public embarrassment, Angelo Cataldi. I had to make it a point to listen today because I was positive this douchebag would go off on yet another McNabb rant and he did not disappoint. Who to hate more – McNabb or Cataldi? Well, McNabb did have talent and gave the city something at one time. Cataldi gets paid for sitting on his fat ass, slobbering over girls and mostly not knowing what he is talking about. As far as McNabb goes. he has become a joke and really pathetic. Sad.

• CN215 July 25, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I would pay any amount of money to watch B-HOP a true Philly legend beat the shit out of 5