Sean McDermott, Who’s Interested in a Head Coaching Job, Read His Resume on 97.5 Today

Photo credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Hello, it’s me
I was wondering if after all these years you’d like to meet
To go over everything
They say that time’s supposed to heal ya
But I ain’t done much healing

Hello, can you hear me?
I’m in Carolina dreaming about who we used to be
When we were younger and free
I’ve forgotten how it felt before the world fell at our feet
There’s such a difference between us
And about 500 miles

Hello from the other side
I must have called a thousand times
To tell you I’m sorry for everything that I’ve done
But when I call you never seem to be home

Sean McDermott, who’s interested in a head coaching job, was on with Anthony Gargano and Co. on 97.5 this morning, presumably while eating a bowl of Lucky Charms. McDermott, a local guy, who’s interested in a head coaching job, essentially read his resume – which he undoubtedly has already prepared, because he’s interested in a head coaching job – and waxed poetic about Philadelphia, even name-dropping the Schuylkill Expressway. Boy, he seems interested in a head coaching job. Specifically, this one.

Listen to the interview

Problem for McDermott:

Voila_Capture 2016-01-05_09-38-11_AM

Voila_Capture 2016-01-05_10-37-37_AM

There are no reports that any team has asked to talk to him yet. Now, let’s compare his results to those of two other coordinators in the playoffs, Hue Jackson and Matt Patricia, for whom the headlines are a bit different (note the teams are interested part):

Voila_Capture 2016-01-05_09-46-31_AM
Voila_Capture 2016-01-05_09-47-01_AM

So I tweeted:

I took some flak for that one, I guess because I’m a hater and negative and all. Maybe. But it does reek of desperation that McDermott, who’s interested in a head coaching job, whose team is in the playoffs, agreed to an interview with a sports talk radio station in Philadelphia to remind people that he exists and is interested in a head coaching job.

Sean McDermott is interested in a head coaching job.

Some thought my Tweet was a shot at 97.5 for having him on (it wasn’t). McDermott, a head coaching candidate interested in a head coaching job, was a good get. It’s rare that you get the target of a coaching search (ostensible) to speak during the search. It’s rare because… it’s very lame. Like, at some point over the past day or so McDermott and his agent had a conversation and decided that this could help him get an interview. Yet, McDermott was with the Eagles for 11 years. Lurie knows who he is. He fired his brother. If he’s interested, he’ll call. Hopping on local radio to win over fans and rehearse your interview answers, should you be granted an interview, does nothing but make you look weak, like the type of small-ish Irish guy who would inspire no confidence on the sidelines. Still, McDermott came across well enough and touched on all the right points. Jim Johnson? Check. The defense he’s structured in Carolina? Check. Players being accountable? Check. Toughness? Check. His team’s 15-1 record? Check. His defense being in the top 10 for four straight years? Check. Tradition? Check. Relating to players? DING DING DING THE CHIP KELLY HOT BUTTON. SHOW ‘EM WHAT HE’S WON, CUZ! I mean, look at this:

“We’re not in the business of making doorknobs, we’re in the business of people. And you gotta connect with people, in particular the modern athlete, you know. There’s different things that you gotta do as a coach these days and as a teacher to relate to the modern athlete, and I think we do that well here. And then just communicating the vision and that daily standard: Hey, this is what we’re all about … It’s how we meet, it’s how we live, it’s how we practice, it’s how we play a darn pre-season game. This is what it’s supposed to look like, and when it doesn’t look like that, it’s not up to par…

It’s all about people, and we’re gonna do everything we can to help [the player] reach his goals and when he reaches his goals he’s in effect helping the team reach their goals.

I’ve been around situations like that in my 17 years in the NFL not everybody is a Luke Kuechly, who is a coach’s dream, and so they come in all different shapes and sizes so you gotta be able to relate to people and connect and find that trigger for each individual that’s gonna help them reach their full potential …

Being young in this business, I’m young enough where I can connect with the modern athlete, these young guys … I listen to their music and they get a big kick out of that. It’s fun to be around these guys, they love to see your true personality. It’s one thing to be one guy behind your desk in your office with the door closed, but they wanna see who you really are.”

I REHEARSED, ANT! I REALLY REHEARSED!

Hilariously, it worked on some in the “media”:

Voila_Capture 2016-01-05_09-54-48_AM
Voila_Capture 2016-01-05_09-55-01_AM

Good going, guys. I’m sure Jeffrey Lurie fell for it, too… right?

Jon Marks didn’t appreciate my Tweet calling McDermott’s effort lame and pathetic:

That’s fair. But this is the same morning show that eviscerated Fletcher Cox for greeting opposing players after a loss. Imagine how they would react if an Eagles coordinator, during a playoff run, went on the radio in another city and openly campaigned for a position? I can only assume it would include a sit-in outside that person’s condo and a jewelry sponsor.

Other responses:

No (perhaps we should have), but I don’t recall Harbaugh going on Baltimore radio to openly campaign for the job while preparing for a playoff game. You do that stuff in private, or you have your agent do it.

Maybe he was a bit kind, but I can’t blame them for having him on. Of course…

Now that’s humor.

Actually, really astute observation. Tim McDermott is the chief marketing guy for the Sixers. A few years ago he was fired from the same role with the Eagles.

Anyway, am I making too big of a deal out of McDermott doing the interview? Probably. But it seemed desperate, and until I read a headline with McDermott’s name that isn’t about him or Ron Riviera telling people he’s available for interviews, I’ll keep thinking that.

UPDATE:

Voila_Capture 2016-01-05_12-56-22_PM

Haha.

• Culture Wins January 5, 2016 at 11:21 am

Pick Up the Shield
    Oshie 2014!
    The Wolf of Broad Street
    Sauce Castillo
    We’re from Philadelphia and we Fight!
    Big Jah!
    Philadelphia PHO-EV-ER!
    Play Like a Girl Today
    Kelly Drive
    We Talking Bout practice

• Phony Cuz January 5, 2016 at 11:32 am

Yeah…. Don’t sound like McDermott will sell a lot of shitty t shirts for Kyle, Brotha.

• Kyle Scott January 5, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Are you serious? Irish guy, La Salle grad? I could set up a stand in the Northeast and pay my kid’s college fund.

• ethan January 5, 2016 at 9:49 pm

good thing delaware county community college is cheap af

• ethan January 5, 2016 at 9:49 pm

i’m sorry for that last comment Kyle that crossed the line

• Slowpoke Rodriguez January 5, 2016 at 11:37 am

also kyle can’t be an skilled creep and track his flight or post the condo he just bought.

• You forgot January 5, 2016 at 12:13 pm

The Man (aka Chase Utley beefsteak face)

• The Guy that always replies to the 1st post January 5, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Let’s see if Kyle makes a shirt out of the “Doorknob” quote?

• Fun Ronnie January 5, 2016 at 11:26 am

You mad bro?…crossing broad would have said no…too desperate? Fuck outta here

• Guesty McGuest January 5, 2016 at 11:33 am

Still not sure why you have an issue with him as a head coach. All you said was “I don’t like him”, and “I don’t know if he can be a head coach”. Care to elaborate? He seems as competent as any of the other names being bandied about (and quite frankly, more qualified than a bunch of them). He’s got a decent pedigree in the professional football league, he’s got local ties which is great for PR, he’s young enough to still come across as “passionate” and perhaps fiery and maybe can relate to the players better.

• Slowpoke Rodriguez January 5, 2016 at 11:54 am

he didn’t go o Villanova, he doesn’t make a V symbol with his fingers, and he doesn’t wear suits.

• Ryan January 5, 2016 at 11:33 am

You are a tool Kyle Scott lol. Must be a slow day in sports……

• Amen January 5, 2016 at 11:33 am

I am genuinely shocked that people look at this and don’t see red flags.

Also, it’s not entirely fair to hate on Marks, he is just defending his show and getting (presumably) great ratings while he’s at it.

• Kyle Scott January 5, 2016 at 1:23 pm

I wasn’t hating on Marks.

• Slowpoke Rodriguez January 5, 2016 at 11:34 am

a guy who spent a good portion of his career and life in Philadelphia is interested in the head coaching position here? that’s insane! any other time you’d already be in the process of designing another shitty t-shirt that will have to given to the children of Africa after you could not sell one or give one to your wife for free.

stick to trying convince all your readers that Villanova is a legitimate threat to win a championship after they beat up on the big 5, but are trampled by a colonial association team in the 2nd round, again.

• saul jolovitz January 5, 2016 at 11:35 am

Can’t imagine the University of Alabama radio station being less sycophantic towards Nick Saban in an interview than Cuz was to McDermott.

• saul jolovitz January 5, 2016 at 11:37 am

BTW, weren’t these the same clowns blowing Gus Bradley and Chip Kelly just three years ago.

• Ish Smith 4 president January 5, 2016 at 11:50 am

Gargano is an equal opportunity rod blower .

Between Stevie Spags, Sean McDermott and Brian Baldinger, Gargano’s pot belly is full from constantly swallowing babies.

• Learned grammar from Sean Brace January 5, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Ish … was that a classic Fanboy Gargano interview or what!? I’m sure the Washington Township boy made sure to get McDermott’s phone number on speed dial so they can have conference calls with SPAGS about football stuff. Jesus, does Gargano realize what a friggin dork he sounds like being buddy, buddy with anyone he interviews? Nah.

• Chips a fraud January 5, 2016 at 11:36 am

Aww Kyle, you mad bro?

You still upset that your boy Chip was sent packing after being exposed for the fraud he is?

Fuck you.

Leave Philadelphia with Chip, and go suck his dick in whatever franchise he ruins next.

• Mark Saltpeter January 5, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Ouch. That hurt.

• blue89 January 5, 2016 at 2:59 pm

This guy just busted out a “you mad bro.”

• Hank the Tank January 5, 2016 at 8:46 pm

My boy Blue! I’m sure you can figure it out.

• K Shaw January 5, 2016 at 11:41 am

Another nice post Kyle. I think “bro” Kyle and his cut and paste lifestyle has died and new “daddy” Kyle is stepping up his game.

• TS January 5, 2016 at 11:50 am

correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Sean McDermott fired here, and then replaced as a DC by an offensive line coach? If he can tell me that is was HE who drafted Keuchley and Davis and Josh Norman, all of whom are Pro Bowls types, then I’ll listen, but really, they’ve been a sub 500 team until this year.

• Shart Shartveit January 5, 2016 at 12:18 pm

The Panthers have won their division and made the playoffs 3 seasons in a row. .

• Slowpoke Rodriguez January 5, 2016 at 12:30 pm

“The Eagles allowed the ninth-fewest yards in the NFL during McDermott’s two years running the defense here, led the NFL in takeaways and ranked fourth in sacks. You try to do better than that with Moise Fokou, Macho Harris, Ellis Hobbs, Antonio Dixon, Nate Allen, Akeem Jordan, Sean Jones, Victor Abiamiri, Dimitri Patterson and Omar Gaither among those in the starting lineup.”

“Following his first full season as defensive coordinator for the Eagles, McDermott was named by Pro Football Weekly Magazine as the league’s Top Defensive Coordinator. McDermott had coached the Eagles to the second best third down defense in the league. His team was also third in the NFL with 38 takeaways and 44 sacks.”

• William Rhodes January 5, 2016 at 11:58 am

So much meta.

• WTF January 5, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Yea the same Kyle Scott who’s been blowing chip the genious the last three years has room to talk? The same kyle Scott that has a problem with lane Johnson speaking out against chip, you’re a hypocrite. Pot meet kettle motherfucker, I’m sure McDermott would do a better job than that prick chip kelly if he gets hired. All you do is push your personal opinions on others and if so happens people don’t agree you go on write a bullshit story about how you don’t like this or that. You’re a douche

• S. McDermott January 5, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Fuck off.

• During the interview Ant gave MCW some toys to play with January 5, 2016 at 12:38 pm

As a child MCW has a short attention span. To keep her busy during the interview gave her some toys to keep her occupied.

• Kyle's Life Coach January 5, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Kyle, I think you need to stop blogging/tweeting until your sleep hours go back to semi normal. This marks several things over the last few weeks where you haven’t been reactionary or negative or snarky… you’ve just been an asshole. I’ve been there, just take it under advisement.

• Kyle Scott January 5, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Looks like a nailed the Johnson thing. Get back to me on if McDermott comes close to the job.

• Kyle's Life Coach January 5, 2016 at 2:49 pm

I don’t want him as the coach either but calling him “desperate & pathetic” is just a bit much. He went on a radio show in his hometown and did an interview… who cares? Will this get him an interview for the job? No. Will it keep him from getting an interview? No. Should the radio station turn down an interview with him? No. What exactly is your problem here? You don’t want the guy as the coach so you call him desperate and pathetic for doing every possible thing he could to get this job? If that’s not just being an asshole I’m not sure what is.

• Fire Rob Ellis January 5, 2016 at 12:48 pm

If you’re really clamoring for a coach based on a radio interview, then I’m really glad you’re not in charge of the eagles. There’s a reason he did this interview, like Kyle said. He hasn’t gotten any offers for interviews anywhere else. He benefits from being apart of a defensive unit that is run by Ron Rivera. Would anyone even care who he was if he wasn’t on the eagles staff a few years ago? Gargano drooling on his boys isn’t a reason to be excited. And the people tweeted about it that Kyle screen grabbed were Mosher, an employee of 97.5, and Anthony becht, a regular weekly guest of Gargano. Also who happened to follow up that interview. 97.5 has an agenda. Don’t buy into everything they say bc as soon as it goes awry they’ll bail on that idea and go the complete opposite.

• ........ January 5, 2016 at 1:11 pm

McDermott is interviewing with Cleveland on Thursday ya Dinkus.

Gargano slobbering over him was quite embarrassing, even for him.

• Bollywood Hulk Hogan January 5, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Damn brother, did McDermott sleep with your wife or something?

• Innes Can't Screw Worth a Damn January 5, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Jon Marks is such a freaking loser….can’t believe that fat pig still has a job. Should be working custodial services at 97.5.

• Garbage Collector January 5, 2016 at 5:50 pm

I know we all rag on Sean Brace but I’m not sure who got more of a raw deal, Sean Brace or Jon Marks?

I was listening a couple months ago and Jon Marks was “on location” on City Ave going from gas station to gas station to get “Gas Station Food” – burritos, hamburgers, and cheesesteaks. He finally finished his “reporting” via cell phone and came back to heat up & report on the quality and taste of the food.

This was the highlight of his career the past 4-5 months post-Jon&Sean Show. It was seriously the most pathetic thing I have heard in my life. The dude was talking with disgusting dumpster food in his mouth reporting on gas station food desperately trying to finally get a word in on the morning show and have any sort of lime light. It was a serious cry for help. He’s become a sad caricature of himself.

• Vinny January 5, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Cool story bro. Tell it again

• Well since you asked.... January 5, 2016 at 10:24 pm

• God of tits and wine January 6, 2016 at 8:55 am

Lol…… I in fact heard that as well. I listen to the fanatic morning show ery day. Cataldi voice is fingers on a chalkboard for me. Jon marks sounded like a complete J O that morning