Sling TV Will Begin Offering a Package That Includes CSN, Well, Unless You’re in Philly

Hello and welcome back to the world in which Comcast inexplicably hates you.

Reader (@rybo213) alerted me to news today about a new package from Sling TV, which, unlike PlayStation’s decent Vue service, did not previously carry CSN, the regional sports network whose exclusion from streaming options has prevented a lot of would-be cord cutters from, you know, cutting the cord. Well, GOOD NEWS, NBC products have joined Sling’s new Blue Package, and that includes NBC 10, NBC Sports Network, CNBC and CSN. Oh I’m sorry– I misstated that. CSN will be available on Sling TV in most major markets where Comcast operates regional sports networks… except Philly:

Sling Blue

Sling Blue (multi-stream) is available to new customers for $25 per month and includes local NBC (for select markets), USA, Bravo, NBCSN and Syfy.

Sling Blue customers will have access to live, local NBC broadcast stations in the following 10 markets: Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Hartford, Conn., Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego and Washington D.C. Access to on-demand programming will be available in a later update.

Regional Sports Networks for select markets (Comcast SportsNet: California, Bay Area, Chicago and Mid-Atlantic) coming soon.

Sling TV expects to add local content from NBC affiliates in the future on a market-by-market basis.

An NBC Universal rep confirmed that CSN Philly will not be available on Sling TV.

That is… maddening.

Sling, of course, is downed by Dish Network, which has had its own unique issues with CSN Philly. WIKIPEDIA MEH !!

On January 20, 2010, the FCC Board of Commissioners voted 4-1 to close the “terrestrial exception” loophole.[30] Lawyers for DirecTV and Dish Network had attempted to show that Comcast, the dominant cable provider in the Philadelphia market, acted in restraint of trade by not uplinking Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia to satellite. Comcast did not appeal the decision, allowing DirecTV and Dish to immediately enter into carriage negotiations to add the network. Both providers formally asked permission from Comcast to carry CSN Philadelphia on June 25, 2010.[31] One month later on July 28, it was reported that Comcast had entered into discussions with DirecTV and Dish Network for carriage of CSN Philadelphia.[32] Two days later, after accusing Comcast of refusing to negotiate in good faith, Dish Network stated it would file a complaint with the FCC.[33][34] The United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia upheld the FCC’s original ruling on June 10, 2011.[35] Despite this ruling, Comcast has yet to offer CSN Philadelphia on competing satellite providers.

The only current method of receiving CSN Philadelphia within the United States (as of April 2014) is via C-band satellite using a Cisco PowerVu receiver with authorization aimed toward the Galaxy 17 satellite at 91.0°W (transponder 11 at 3920 H).[36]

Gah. Mesahthinks that has something to do with CSN Philly’s exclusion from Sling TV. CSN is available through Dish in other cities, including the Bay Area and Chicago.

It looks like PlayStation Vue will remain the sole streaming service that carries CSN Philly. As I’ve written, it’s a reasonable alternative, but the fact that it doesn’t currently broadcast in 1080 – only in 720 – was a non-starter for me.

At this point, streaming packages are beginning to resemble the cable bundles that most people hate. They are a bit more lean and cost-effective, but not by much. So the benefits are often negligible. Still, the fact that CSN Philly remains so damn difficult to stream, even with cable credentials, is annoying. Comcast claims to be on the cutting edge of everything – such innovators, they are – and yet your options for streaming sports in its home market – WHERE IT OWNS ONE OF THE TEAMS – continue to be extremely limited.

A follow up question to the NBC rep inquiring whether they had any plans to bring CSN Philly to Sling TV in the future was not immediately responded to.

• meh June 30, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Sounds like time to set up a good VPN, so I can live in “Chicago”

• Kyle Scott June 30, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Doesn’t matter. CSN Philly won’t be available at all. I’ll clear that up.

• More interesting than anything on this site is this penis June 30, 2016 at 1:36 pm

……………………„„-~^^~„-„„_
    ………………„-^*” : : „” : : : : *-„
    …………..„-* : : :„„–/ : : : : : : : ‘\
    …………./ : : „-* . .| : : : : : : : : ‘|
    …………/ : „-* . . . | : : : : : : : : |
    …………\„-* . . . . .| : : : : : : : :’|
    …………/ . . . . . . ‘| : : : : : : : 😐
    ………./ . . . . . . . .’\ : : : : : : : |
    ……../ . . . . . . . . . .\ : : : : : : 😐
    ……./ . . . . . . . . . . . ‘\ : : : : : /
    ……/ . . . . . . . . . . . . . *-„„„„-*’
    ….’/ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ‘|
    …/ . . . . . . . ./ . . . . . . .|
    ../ . . . . . . . .’/ . . . . . . .’|
    ./ . . . . . . . . / . . . . . . .’|
    ‘/ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .’|
    ‘| . . . . . \ . . . . . . . . . .|
    ‘| . . . . . . \„_^- „ . . . . .’|
    ‘| . . . . . . . . .’\ .\ ./ ‘/ . |
    | .\ . . . . . . . . . \ .” / . ‘|
    | . . . . . . . . . . / .’/ . . .|
    | . . . . . . .| . . / ./ ./ . .|

• Bob June 30, 2016 at 1:41 pm

I’m older than most of you, but I know technology better than 98% of you. Drop ALL cable TV and just go broadband internet. You can watch all sports without paying these companies a car payment each month. Then when they try to charge you $150/month internet, drop them like a hot potato. Fuck em.

• Loke July 23, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Wish I could pick your brain on the how to’s so to speak. Id like to watch the Sixers without getting cable again…

• Loke July 23, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Sorry for the extra post forgot to hit email notify

• Robert N Langley December 30, 2016 at 4:33 am

Hey Bob would you be willing to share the tie between broadband & free sports? I just told cable to go get lost. They were charging way to damn much..So yeah got Direct tv & in my opinion they stink had dish they stunk had the trial for sling it worked okay until I bought it. Then cancelled immediately because of all the lag. Now I’m sitting trying to figure out ways to combat these pigs…
      Thank you!! And Have a happy New year’s

• DWG February 19, 2017 at 10:03 pm

mamahd.com

kodi

roku/channel pear

• Bob June 30, 2016 at 1:52 pm

I want to add this. I remember when Comcast cable first came to the city and suburbs. It was $10.00 per month for all the non-premium channels. Basic cable. Look at it now. They are whores. Cut the cord and go with a Fios internet package. And if they become too expensive? Drop it all. These dick companies don’t set the price. We do. It’s what we are willing to pay.

• mikey miss's ladyboy gf June 30, 2016 at 3:30 pm

agree cut the f-ing cord you philly homer suckbags

• Paul Jolovitz Fan Club President June 30, 2016 at 1:58 pm

CSN Philly sucks.

Do you want to watch Barkann scream at the camera and Ed Rendell put a plastic bag over his head?

Just get a VPN and the NBA/NHL/MLB packages. It’ll run you ~$300 tota per yearl, which is about what 3 months of Comcast costs.

• chuick July 5, 2016 at 6:36 am

better yet use the website vipbox(dot)biz…it’s free. you just need an internet connection.
      you have to get through a ton of commercial ads but it’s free. all mlb, nhl, nba, nfl games are free.

• Big Dick Ang June 30, 2016 at 2:06 pm

you know…Rendell with a plastic bag over his head sounds inviting. Can I hold it till he dies?

• Justin June 30, 2016 at 2:06 pm

What’s more maddening is that if you buy the Center Ice package the feed they use is CSN Philly. So even though I am in the Philly home market I have to pay like $150 just to watch the Flyers on DirecTV.

• Bob's tavern prisim sports sign June 30, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Fuck that Ponzi scheme Comcast & csn. Time for people to wake up & cut the cord.
    2 things I hope that become extinct within the next 2 years is con artists Comcast & cabs

• Bob June 30, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Could not agree more. +1000

Comcast is a ripoff artist. And the idiots still pay car payments to them.

• Papa Emeritus III June 30, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Agree 100%. Going on 1 year anniversary of interent only. KODI + OTA antenna for regular channels. Couldnt be happier.

• Bob June 30, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Good for you! 2+ years cable-free myself. Internet TV in my household as well as digital rabbit ears for those TVs. We are saving big money!

• Pizza guy Mike June 30, 2016 at 3:23 pm

You’re celebrating being a juuuuuuuuuuuu like Jeffrey you fuckkking kike juuuuuuuuuu

• Bob June 30, 2016 at 3:41 pm

@PIZZA GUY MIKE

A Juuuuuuuu? I’m Roman Catholic and I don’t believe in 100+ dollar cable bills, fucker.

• macdade June 30, 2016 at 4:12 pm

people are so cheap. I’ll never get rid of Comcast and CSN. I need my flyers and phils fix after work

• Adam June 30, 2016 at 2:12 pm

I checked channel availability by entering my Philly address on Sling’s website, and it lists CSN regional is coming soon. Not sure if it’s just a lie, but thought I would mention. See here: https://www.sling.com/service

• Adam June 30, 2016 at 3:47 pm

FYI, Sling just told me this on Twitter:

The NBCRSN”s are coming soon. At this time we don’t have a set date yet.

PA is part of the mid-atlantic, so I don’t see why Philly would be excluded.

• Ryan June 30, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Yeah, that rep is wrong. CSN Mid-Atlantic and CSN Philly are two different regional sports networks. CSN Mid-Atlantic serves the Washington DC and maybe Baltimore region.

• I came inside alexandra vera June 30, 2016 at 2:14 pm

If you are a true Philly and local college sports fan man up the $$$, and get Comcast. You can bitch and moan all day about the price, watch your shitty illegal stream from some ex soviet outpost, or you can save your money and pay $160 a month like I do and NEVER miss any game any Philly pro or college team plays. MAN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bob June 30, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Man up, you say? At $100+ a month? Soviet stream? Man up to be killed by a company?

Go fuck yourself. Look at the fucking economy, ingrate.

• I BLEW JERRY BLAVATE IN MARGATE LAST SUMMER June 30, 2016 at 4:28 pm

You wife man’s up.

• Bob is cheap and not a real sports fan June 30, 2016 at 2:44 pm

I hope you had fun at the DMB concert Saturday

• Pat June 30, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Or you could all stop being a punch of pansies and pay the $150 a month for digital preferred TV and performance internet. I love being able to turn on my TV and watch the Flyers in HD without having to deal with bullshit workarounds and illegal streams. Comcast is honestly not that bad. I have their newest X1 platform and boxes and its pretty sick. Especially the TV and DVR apps for iOS, you can watch anywhere in the home or your recordings and On Demand outside your home.

• avalon 1 lister June 30, 2016 at 3:08 pm

get with the times Pat. Comcast is a ripoff and philly sports teams stink

• mikey miss's ladyboy gf June 30, 2016 at 3:28 pm

• Size June 30, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Sounds like pat wants to fuck Brian Roberts since he’s already getting fucked in the ass by Comcast. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Tits McGee June 30, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Guess you haven’t been plagued by the On-demand issues Comcast/Xfinity has been dealing with for the past two months, huh? It’s actually cheaper to cut the cord, get a black box and and one of the “sticks” (if you do not own a smart TV). Comcast is a rip off as evidenced by the deregulation of cable boxes. This means you WILL NOT have to pay/lease equipment AFTER paying for the service. Unless you have the Complete package (which starts at $199/month + tax) you pay for ALL equipment. Cut the cord, keep the internet and make them earn your business.

• mikey miss's ladyboy gf June 30, 2016 at 3:27 pm

this is why anyone with a brain hates comcast……the roberts family skim hundreds of millions of stock and bonuses and then they pay off congress for as many restrictions as possible….cut the cord, pay for a vpn (its cheap), and ‘f’ comcast

• Philly media types are the worst July 1, 2016 at 1:10 am

Dumped their sorry asses 2 years ago. Now no matter what those thieving jagoffs do, me and my wallet rest easy!

• shut it down June 30, 2016 at 3:53 pm

If a $100 a month cable bill is killing your budget you really need to find a new job.

• Wildstar October 4, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Just because you can afford it, doesn’t make it right. Cable companies are dying, they know it and are charging ridiculous prices for mostly shit programming. I can buy season tickets with the cash I’m saving!

• Mark's insulin needle June 30, 2016 at 4:54 pm

MCW is insufferable. I should give her a few shots, Sammy Jankis style

• A person June 30, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Does Kyle know you can stream csn philly games on the nbc live extra app?

• Philly media types are the worst July 1, 2016 at 1:08 am

If CSN Philly had anything worth watching, this would concern me.

• Paul September 21, 2016 at 2:53 pm

It’s not about money. It’s all the brainwashing NBCU & Disney, TW, etc serve up. That can keep it. And to the fist raisers in the nFL…I have an OTA TV antenna. No fees …

• Randy Helsman February 7, 2017 at 6:12 pm

hey brews, any update on this, was looking at Sling earlier today and there was still no mention of CSN Philly, only thing holding me back right now is live sports , i have kodi on a firestick but primarily use it for movies and old TV shows, not a lot of live sports unless i want to watch something overseas