Does Anyone in Philadelphia Care About eSports?

Photo Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Too bad eSports wasn’t a thing back in 1995.

I would have been Contra world champion.

Full run, no deaths, no up/up/down/down/left/right/left/right/B/A cheat code. None of that.

Some friends and I used to be in the “National Honor Society” at Boyertown Senior High back in the day. We had a private room where we were supposed to tutor students who needed homework help. I don’t remember doing much tutoring, but we definitely had a Playstation, SNES, and Nintendo 64 hooked up in that closet. Super Mario Kart was played before home room, Twisted Metal 2 was reserved for fourth-period study hall, and I dropped Calculus to free up 8th period for Tekken 3. My asshole friend Jon used to play as Eddy Gordo and button mash.

Video games were just a hobby back then. You played with your friends for fun. We didn’t wear head sets or use microphones or get demolished by organized teams from South Korea. We definitely didn’t watch other people play.

That’s why the eSports thing is fascinating. Comcast Spectacor announced this month that they’re launching a franchise called the “Philadelphia Fusion,” which will share colors with the Flyers and begin playing in the Overwatch League in December. According to a Bloomberg story, Comcast paid a $20 million franchise fee to join the league. Crazy, right?

For comparison, the Philadelphia Union paid a $25m franchise fee to join Major League Soccer back in 2008. That fee is now up to $150 million for new clubs, so if MLS is growing at that rate, I wonder what an eSports franchise fee might look like ten years from now.

You already know about Team Dignitas, which Josh Harris and David Blitzer purchased last year. Additionally, when the Sixers opened their “Innovation Lab” in the spring, one of the four companies selected for the incubation project was a start-up named “U GIT GOOD” that helps you improve your League of Legends skills.

Individualized training for gamers? That makes me feel old and out of touch, like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.

“Son, when I was your age, I played Diablo 2 on dial-up internet!”

But speaking of League of Legends, 43 million people watched last year’s World Championships, up from 36 million in 2015 and 27 million in 2014. That’s more than 60% viewership growth in just two years. The contest was aired by more than 23 broadcasters in 18 languages. Those numbers are competitive with and sometimes eclipse domestic NHL, NBA, and MLB playoff and championship game broadcasts. This year’s World Series averaged around 21 million viewers, which is really good. The NBA Finals is usually in the 10-12 million range. Hockey is about half of that and the Super Bowl crests 100 million. Broadcast ratings are archaic and sometimes wonky, but I think the surface numbers tell at least some of the story.

In terms of physical attendance, 45,000 people came to Sangam Stadium in Seoul, South Korea to watch the 2014 League of Legends final. Sangam is a 66,000 capacity arena that was built for the 2002 World Cup. Last year, nearly 20,000 filled the Staples Center in Los Angeles for the same competition. Earlier tournament stages were held in Madison Square Garden, The Chicago Theater, and the Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco.

This year, the LOL Worlds were held in Beijing, and this is what it looked like after the final game:

The crowd is chanting “Faker,” which is the nickname of 21 year old Lee Sang-Hyeok, who is regarded as the globe’s best League player. His Wikipedia entry is as long as Tim Jernigan’s. He dropped out of high school to become a pro gamer and is now a millionaire, so good job by him.

Philadelphia has yet to host a live eSports event, but Dave Scott says that’s something he’s thought about:

There are 300,000 Overwatch players in the Philadelphia area, said Dave Scott, chief executive of Comcast Spectacor, the company’s sports and live events business. The company is in the process of hiring a coach and players as well as looking for an arena seating less than 5,000 people.

“We like the idea of hosting events, bringing in fans and growing this market,” Scott said.

Are 4,000 people coming out to watch live DOTA 2 in Philly? Probably not, but what do I know? They might be able to do a niche event at the Tower Theater or Union Transfer or something else in that 2,000 to 2,500 capacity range. If a mediocre band like Imagine Dragons can headline a gig at the Wells Fargo Center, then anything is possible.

There are more local angles.

Former Phillies slugger Ryan Howard recently invested in N3rd Street Gaming, a “community of competitive and recreational video gamers that produces a series of eSports tournaments, leagues, and casual gaming events,” according to their website. They operate out of a shared space across from the Liberty Lands Community Garden about a block from the No Libs Piazza. Their LAN center has 40 gaming computers, plus other consoles and televisions.

They operate Overwatch, Starcraft, and Counter Strike tournaments which are broadcasted on their Twitch channel:

You’re probably saying “who gives a shit?” about eSports, but whether it’s a dork fest or not, the money is there.

This passage about the 2016 DOTA 2 Championship from a recent Sports Illustrated article is telling:

The purse for the event, the sixth edition of The International, was $20,770,460. That’s roughly double the total payout of The Masters. The International’s winning team, a Chinese side called Wings Gaming, split the $9,139,002 grand prize among its five gamers—each team member took home $1.87 million for his triumph. For his Masters win in April, Danny Willett won $1.8 million.

It’s a tradition unlike any other, DOTA 2.

ESports generated $493 million in revenue last year. 71% of that money came from advertising and sponsorship. Geico and Coca-Cola are two big names. Kyle’s favorite, Buffalo Wild Wings, is another. Esports are a cheap option for advertisers looking to tap into a new market on a broad array of platforms, including online, television, player uniforms, and pretty much everything else in between.

In recent years, for comparison, the NHL and NBA did about $4 and $5 billion in revenue, respectively. ESports are projected to hit $1.1 billion in 2018, which would be a little less than 25% and 20% of what North American basketball and hockey are doing. The global appeal of eSports, which are obviously popular in Asia, is another key factor here. World soccer (non-MLS) did about $30 billion in revenue last year, compared to the NFL’s $11-12 billion. The appeal outside of North America is a major consideration.

So I don’t know if the average “four for four” Philadelphia sports fan cares about Overwatch, but Josh Harris, David Blitzer, and Dave Scott seem to, as far their portfolios are concerned.

Those three guys control a lot of money, and when money is involved, the wheels keep turning.

• Carter Young November 15, 2017 at 12:24 pm

I’m officially, without a doubt, old. I don’t get it.

• Kyle's finger on the pulse November 15, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Of course! Just look at the face on the Chinaman in the picture!!!! What could possibly be more entertaining than that? Kyle Scott is 100% right when he said E Sports are the future and the UFC is a barbaric fad.

• Walter November 15, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Dude, Chinaman is not the proper nomenclature dude… Asian American.

• Pushups November 15, 2017 at 1:29 pm

I was always partial to “Celestial.”

• Herman Murman November 15, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Nope.

• Ogre November 15, 2017 at 3:14 pm

NERDS!!!
      Go the fuck outside and play a real sport pussies.

• 4 for 4 and all in on the Meat Locker November 15, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Only care about Eagles, Sixers, Phillies, Flyers

• No November 15, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Nobody cares about this. Why Kyle signed off on this article is baffling. What the hell has happened to this site?

• sh November 15, 2017 at 12:43 pm

eh, how is watching esports that much different from watching traditional sports? I mean outside of the obvious (real people vs avatars), the drama and action are the same and I bet even translates better to TV/streaming than most live sports.

• Figgypop November 15, 2017 at 12:50 pm

so the “esports are the future” guy (who I do enjoy) comments first on every other article but is MIA here so far???

• Kevin Kinkead November 15, 2017 at 1:06 pm

I know right, this was a slam dunk for him

• esports are the future November 15, 2017 at 4:07 pm

I had to wait and see how much idiocy was thrown by the super tough 4 for 4 guys who go with Cowherd’s “DON’T LET THE NERDS OUT OF THE BASEMENT!!!!’ thing…

If Poker and NASCAR can get ESPN coverage then Dota 2, StarCraft, League, and CSGO should as well. More money was won for the Dota 2 world Finals by each member of the winning 5 man team than the winner of the Masters in U.S. Golf.

The talent and skill required by the best of the best in each game is so absurdly high that calling Arteezy or Faker or Innovation a “genius” seems like an insult.

• Darl3y Gr3en November 15, 2017 at 6:52 pm

“Former Phillies slugger Ryan Howard recently invested in N3rd Street Gaming, a “community of competitive and recreational video gamers that produces a series of eSports tournaments, leagues, and casual gaming events,”

Then again, former Phillies slugger Ryan Howard recently invested a staggering proportion of his incredible wealth into a piece of Florida real estate that probably won’t sell for 10 cents on his dollar when he dies of cardiac arrest at 43.

• Can't we all just get along -- no because someone will post some trollish reply to this that i'll never read November 15, 2017 at 12:50 pm

As a gamer (and freelance games reporter) and a Four for Four Philly sports fan, I always find the division between gamers and sports fans hilarious. Sports fans love to make fun of “nerds” while gamers love to make fun of “sportsball.” One side has D&D, the other has fantasy sports. They’re more alike than most care to admit, but they’re both at each others’ throats.

But as much as I love games and competitive sports, I find it really hard to get into watching competitive gaming. I love playing Overwatch, and I love watching traditional sports, but it’s hard to get excited for esports. But clearly a lot of people love it. And I think Blizzard is onto something here with city-based teams. It’ll be interesting to see if Philly Fusion fans build up rivalries with the Dallas Fuel and the New York Excelsior (super lame name and logo) the same way we hate the Cowboys and Giants. I don’t know if even this will be enough to get me on board, but if anything can do it, it’s giving me a rooting interest in a Philly team for one of the best competitive games around right now.

• Wasting my breath, probably November 15, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I’m pretty much in the same boat as you, but I actually enjoy watching competitive eSports. I prefer counter-strike matches, but have dabbled in watching LoL and Dota2. I’m not sure how interested in Overwatch I am, but the whole thing is certainly interesting and if they ever do play a match in Philly I wouldn’t be opposed to going to check it out. I’ve also spent a few years in college playing CSS competitively, so maybe I’m biased towards liking it because I’ve played it that way… al biet not well enough to compete with the “pros” of today.

• esports are the future November 15, 2017 at 4:09 pm

StarCraft is the most competitive, the most difficult to play, and pretty much the grandfather of every game you mentioned. Aeon of Strife was a StarCraft map that could put into the Warcraft 3 Engine and eventually became Dota which eventually became League of Legends. StarCraft blood is in them all.

You must construct additional Pylons!

• Hextall's Glasses November 15, 2017 at 4:20 pm

I’m a nerd who loves both sports and video games. I play DnD and fantasy football. I think there are plenty who are willing to embrace both sides because there are a lot of similarities, yes. I don’t care for Overwatch or League but I love watching fighting game tournaments. The biggest one of the year is EVO and it’s on during the summer. I’d recommend checking that out next year. It’s gotten so big that some of it airs on ESPN. Fighting games are easier to get into in my opinion because they’re easier to follow and you quickly become fans of some of the more talented players.

• steve m November 15, 2017 at 1:00 pm

I’ve been following Esports for at least the last ten years and it really is fascinating to see how much online gaming has grown. It will only get bigger. Sure, sure, it’s a young person’s game, no doubt. I’m in my 50’s and all my kids are involved in one way or another. Replacing at times “proper” sports(another reason the NFL numbers are down? perhaps).

I have no doubt in less than 2 years CB will certainly be doing some sort of weekly(if not daily) Esports coverage. It’s inevitable, really. A few years ago one of the ESPN big brass guys was crowing how there would be no way ESPN would cover Esports. They now have a section on their site dedicated to just that.

I keep thinking Xfinity Live would be a perfect venue for tournaments..

• kanye November 15, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Kevin Kincaid does not care about black people.

• Kevin Kinkead November 15, 2017 at 1:09 pm

“that’s not true!” – Mike Gundy

• E-sports dude was right November 15, 2017 at 1:06 pm

See that one guy who has been posting about E-sports in the comments all this time has been right all along.

• esports are the future November 15, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Yes I know.

• Stupid Fucking Millennials November 15, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Hmmm..yeah like i have a lot of time to waste WATCHING other people play video games.
    Typical millennial bullshit waste of time.
    Sorry i forgot….they don’t have any responsibility since they are still living rent free in
    mommie’s basement…………………………….

• I'm only here for the comments November 15, 2017 at 2:50 pm

I thought the same thing, and then considered whether me WATCHING other people play sports is any different. And concluded—probably not.

• esports are the future November 15, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Ummm haven’t I been saying this for months?

Yes. There are so many your jaw would drop.

• Guesty McGuest November 15, 2017 at 4:00 pm

If you’re taking a vote, put me down for a “NO”.

I have no issue with people playing video games at any age, shit I was mildly addicted to the Call of Duty franchise for years, but watching OTHER people play games on TV? Lame.

• jg November 15, 2017 at 6:34 pm

about as lame as watching OTHER people play sports on TV.

• Rollin blounts and jays November 15, 2017 at 6:37 pm

If esports are the future then so is an even bigger obesity epidemic along with a worldwide spike in carpal tunnel….
    I love video games, always have, but I cannot watch someone else play. The only time I do, is to check out whether or not I should buy a game, so I’ll go on twitch or yt.

• Who Cares? November 15, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Can’t wait to get my fantasy eSports team locked for the weekend.

• 29 year old gamer November 16, 2017 at 10:57 am

I do care

• Ron Bowman Has No Friends November 16, 2017 at 11:57 am

I wonder what super old school tough guy Seth Joyner thinks about all this? His near and dear head trauma game is coming to an end.