Training camp continued Tuesday with pads and hitting after a day off yesterday.
As part of that live contact setup, Carson Wentz did not take part in 11v11 drills, but did participate in every other exercise. Nick Foles ran the first team offense and Nate Sudfeld led the second team offense.
More notes from the folks down at NovaCare:
- Jordan Hicks played a bit of outside linebacker with Joe Walker in the middle (more on this later)
- Sidney Jones again worked in the slot with Destiny Vaeao playing 1st team defensive tackle
- 2nd team defensive line was Michael Bennett, Haloti Ngata, Elijah Qualls, and Josh Sweat
- Big V took first team offensive line reps in lieu of Jason Peters
- Brandon Brooks returned to practice after dealing with a brief illness
- Shelton Gibson took a hit that knocked off his helmet, then later got up and walked off
- Matt Jones also went inside early but should be fine
- Rashard Davis keeps getting mentioned as a camp standout. Not sure if there’s a roster spot for him.
Daily Carson Wentz update. pic.twitter.com/PkKysjWt7S
— Sheil Kapadia (@SheilKapadia) July 31, 2018
— Dave Zangaro (@DZangaroNBCS) July 31, 2018
I’d be stunned if he doesn’t play in week one, but who knows.
— Eliot Shorr-Parks (@EliotShorrParks) July 31, 2018
Ugh get this soccer bullshit off the football field. Seriously though, it makes sense for this drill because you can control the bounce of a round ball and get more consistent reps on keeping the thing out of the end zone.
That’s about it. No video during the hitting portion of practice, but the Eagles put up about 22 minutes of drill footage.
Right, so Jim Schwartz was at the podium today. They rotate Doug, Schwartz, and Mike Groh, so Groh goes again tomorrow.
Notes from Schwartz:
- we’re operating without depth charts, just trying to cross train as many guys, good to learn the scheme from different positions as well (RE: Hicks playing OLB today, says they did it last year and media didn’t make a big deal about it)
- have a good mix of guys at weakside linebacker, feels like it will be a good competition to win that starting job
- young safeties are “works in progress” and working on consistency, not a ton of veteran experience behind Malcolm Jenkins and Rodney McLeod
- RE Sidney Jones: can play inside or outside, rolling a lot of guys into the slot (Maddox, Bausby, Killings when he returns), will even see Mills or Darby in there, which we did in OTAs, “you can write the same article about different positions right there”
- Jones “doesn’t look like a rookie, he’s way ahead in terms of knowledge of defense and technique”
- Bennett and Ngata – melting them into the scheme right now, letting them get their feet under them, Michael can play inside, outside, right, left, just wanted to let new guys get their feet wet, then we’ll start moving guys around
- Destiny Vaeao: “will be decided in training camp” whether he’s ready to take on a bigger roll this year, “I like where he came out of camp last year” (suffered injury early in season)
- new helmet rule: every year we see different rules and try to adapt to it, there’s gonna be change but it happens every single year, biggest key is trying to keep guys out of positions where they’re leading with their head
Tune in as defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz meets with the media. https://t.co/wgqkwm1F33
— Philadelphia Eagles (@Eagles) July 31, 2018