SugarHouse Casino Will Become Rivers Casino Philadelphia
The SugarHouse Casino you’ve known and loved will be no more as of the end of Summer 2019. Don’t worry, it’s not going anywhere, but it is being rebranded as Rivers Casino Philadelphia. The proposed change was presented to the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board by Rush Street Gaming, who own not only SugarHouse Casino, but also Rivers Casinos in Pittsburgh, Des Plaines, and Schenectady. The move makes a ton of sense from a continuity standpoint, as it will allow Rush Street Gaming to streamline the Rivers Casino brand under the same corporate umbrella.
What This Means for Sports Betting and the SugarHouse Sportsbook
As you likely know already, SugarHouse Sportsbook went live for online betting in PA on May 31. It will become Rivers Sportsbook, which was already expected to launch in PA. We’ve been told that it will be rebranded as BetRivers, while the online casino will likely be branded as Rivers Casino PA.
Rivers Philadelphia Timeline
As for the Philadelphia rebranding, Rush Street Gaming presented the following timeline for the rebranding rollout:
- Now: Announcement of intention to rebrand
- Early Summer: Begin property transformation, including internal controls (signage, gaming items, etc.)
- Mid Summer: Launch iGaming
- End Summer: Launch of expanded, permanent sportsbook
- Fall 2019: Ceremonial Rivers Casino Philadelphia Launch
What This Means for SugarHouse Casino
SugarHouse Casino’s rebranding does little to change the existing structure with one major exception. Rush Street Gaming presented the launch of an expanded, permanent sportsbook to be built on-site by the end of Summer 2019– this was already in the works. That should be welcome news to any interested sports betters in the greater Philadelphia area.
Rebranding as Rivers Casino Philadelphia
From the Rush Street presentation:
- Continuously improving customer experiences is a shared goal of the PGCB and Rush Street
- As gaming becomes a 360-degree experience -land-based, mobile, online- a unified brand for Rush Street’s PA properties will best serve the Commonwealth, host communities, guests, and team members
- Our long-term Plan is to establish continuity across Rush Street’s PA properties, sportsbooks, iGaming and guest rewards programs
- This rebranding represents a $15 million reinvestment in the property, and all changes to the facility will be completed by local companies and contractors
SugarHouse/Rivers Sportsbook is still not available on iOS, an issue that we explained in detail here.