A walk down memory lane:
The last time the #Eagles faced the Giants in the playoffs was 14 years ago, when the 6th seeded Eagles marched into Giants Stadium and took care of business! Many Eli faces during that one!
GO BIRDS🦅#FlyEaglesFly #NFLPlayoffs #PhiladelphiaEagles #EaglesNation pic.twitter.com/wJS5sSqC3Q
— The Green Legion (@greenlegion) January 16, 2023
This was the 2008 season, the divisional round victory en route to the NFC Championship Game. Field goal city, USA. Donovan McNabb had an early QB sneak for a touchdown, and Brent Celek scored on a one-yard pass later in the game, otherwise David Akers and John Carney combined to go 6-8 on field goals. New York didn’t find the end zone once. They cobbled together 11 points on some field goals and a safety.
- Eli Manning: 15 for 29, 169 yards, two interceptions
- Donovan: 22 for 40, 217 yards, one touchdown, two interceptions
- Brandon Jacobs: 19 carries for 92 yards
- Derrick Ward: 12 carries for 46 yards
- Brian Westbrook: 18 carries for 36 yards
- Correll Buckhalter: five carries for seven yards
- D Jaxx: four receptions for 81 yards (early catch set up the sneak)
It was not an instant classic for either offense, just a windy and crappy day and Eli couldn’t hit anything. I remember B Dawk, Asante Samuel, and Quintin Mikell playing really well. Sheldon Brown was out there too. Awesome secondary for the Birds that year.
The Eagles are 2-1 against the Giants in the playoffs going back to 2000. That includes a wild card win in 2006 and the 2000 game featuring the stupid Jason Sehorn pick six. NY went all the way to the Super Bowl that year and got plastered by Ray Lewis and company.