This afternoon, Phillies pitcher Jamie Moyer surrendered his 506th career home run to Vernon Wells. That moved him past Hall of Famer Robin Roberts for the Major Leage record. Without cheating, who was the first player to homer off Moyer? If you said Juan Samuel on June 23, 1986 at Wrigley Field then you're absolutely correct! Here's some other interesting facts about Moyers longballs…
- Manny Ramirez has homered the most off Moyer (10).
- The Angels have hit 45 HRs against Moyer, the most of any team.
- The 506th HR was the 54th allowed at CBP which is the second most of any stadium. (Safeco Field is the highest with 89).
- Moyer has allowed more HR (87) in the first inning than in any other inning.
- In his 24 year career, Moyer averages 1.1 HR per 9 IP.
At 47 years young, one wonders how much longer Moyer can keep this up. It seems like with each start Moyer passes another Hall of Famer. It'll be a debate that will go on for quite some time…Is Moyer Hall-of-Fame worthy? Leave comments below and let me know what you think!