Kyle Scott —  November 27, 2012 — 45 Comments

image from mobilwi.typepad.com
It. Just. Gets. Worse.

Carlos Ruiz has been suspended for 25 games after testing positive for amphetamines. Adderall, specifically.

Matt Gelb of Philly.com:

Ruiz tested positive for Adderall, according to a league source, an amphetamine commonly used to control attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Adderall is classified as a banned stimulant — not a steroid — under MLB's policy. The suspension was triggered by Ruiz's second positive test for the stimulant.

Under MLB's program, Ruiz was subject to six unannounced follow-up tests over the 12 months after the initial violation, in addition to the standard random testing. A first positive test for a stimulant, unlike steroids, does not result in suspension. Instead, the increased testing is implemented. Ruiz would be suspended for 80 games should a third positive test emerge.

Some players diagnosed with ADHD (Shane Victorino…) are allowed to take Adderall. Chooch, obviously, has not been diagnosed with the disorder.

The Phillies put out a statement:

The Phillies fully support Major League Baseball’s Drug Program. We are disappointed by the news of this violation of the program. We will support Carlos in an appropriate manner and move forward to achieve our goal to play championship-caliber baseball in 2013.

And god dammit, even Ruiz's statements are adorable:

"I am sincerely regretful for my mistake in taking a prohibited stimulant. I apologize to my teammates, the Phillies organization, and the Philadelphia fans. I will serve the imposed 25-game suspension to begin the season and I look forward to returning to the field and working toward bringing a championship back to Philadelphia in 2013."

Chooch had his best season ever this year– a .325 batting average, 16 home runs and 68 RBIs in only 114 games. There was a bit of (very loose) conjecture about what was causing Ruiz’s outburst this season… now, maybe, we have a reason. An amphetamine, according to Wikipedia, "produces increased wakefulness and focus in association with decreased fatigue and appetite"– something that could be quite beneficial to a baseball player who might not otherwise need it for medical reasons. Say it ain’t so, Chooch.

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Kyle Scott

Posts Twitter Facebook Google+

Editor

45 responses to Carlos Ruiz Suspended 25 Games After Testing Positive For Amphetamines (Adderall)

1. Just heard about this on KYW. Now THERE’S a sucker punch. Talk about a winter of discontent!

2. Sorry, confused. derp November 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm

So, the addarall is banned because it’s a stimulant, and it really could’ve been the reason he was better ? It could used for those purposes ?

3. The notion that Adderall could be the cause of such a massive increase in performance is ridiculous. This still sucks though.

4. It’s so easy to get a damned script for addarall.. common Chooch! Fackkkkkk me.. there was just some farm system kid who got a suspension for addy’s too.. just get a script… be like yo Dr.. Chooch can no focus.. can’t sit and read a book.. have mucho trouble focuso… bam… addy script… boom enjoy as much addy as you want you crazy fucker

5. Not really, Adderall can make him swing faster and run quicker. Keeps you alert and can possibly help you concentrate more on seeing the ball at the plate. I used to take that shit to get high, let me tell you 8 hour jobs would be done in 4 hours.

6. Seems as if the Phils always start kind of slow, whether it be during a 102 win season or an 81. Hopefully the suspension stays at 25 games and we have him back quick.

7. Played with a kid that had ADD and took it. He was the best hitter on the team. Helps you focus and that’s a major part of hitting and baseball in general.

8. The Oak’s X-Mass Tree November 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Typical wet-back

9. The Indian Guy Who Your Kids Will Work For November 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Stop worshiping athletes and start reading books.

10. Adderall can also be used to mask steroid use. He’s not necessarily innocent of seedy intentions with it. And all you geniuses saying he should have just gotten a script or it’s no big deal… don’t you think he knows that? Don’t you think he would have gotten a script if he could have? There was something more going on.
    I hope, for all our sakes, we never find out what that more is.

11. Yet another injustice facing the sports world. I don’t know where to begin anymore. Mr. Ruiz was one of my youngest son’s heroes and someone that he had considered to be a role model after reading about Mr. Ruiz’s life story. Now, I have to reluctantly inform my son that everything he thought he knew about Mr. Ruiz was a lie. Mr. Ruiz is not a role model for anyone in society. Frankly, he is a cheater and a drug addict. I would love to find out how he obtained ADHD medication without being diagnosed with the disability. I am beginning to think that sports are becoming the root of all evil. It is full of greed, life threatening injuries, and rampant drug use. I am personally going to write the MLB a letter recommending that they increase his suspension from a measly 25 ball games to an entire life time. There is no accountability in sports by players, Commissioners, disciplinarians or the greedy owners. By attending ball games, watching them on television and purchasing the merchandise we are just feeding the beast. I will continue to fight against these injustices.

12. Thomas E Merschen November 27, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Megan, what’s for dinner?
    Make sure you put something sexy on before cooking too.

13. 3 Finger Lenny Rims Children November 27, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Thomas eats cock for dinner every night so why would her menu matter

14. The Oak’s X-Mass Tree November 27, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Megan Hun, leave the sports talking to the men. Nobody wants to hear your opinion, sexy

15. It sucks that he got caught.
    Speed is as much a part of baseball as bubblegum.

16. @Ed Murphy-
    Get off your high horse homie

17. TJ, you don’t ever say that about Edward Murphy

18. Mike Jackson (not that Michael Jackson) November 27, 2012 at 6:27 pm

TJ – fuck off.
    Ed Murphy is a legend on this site. He’s more important than Kyle himself.
    Do us all a favor and take your shitty name and beat it.

19. Typical spic

20. Adderall can also be a steroid-masking agent. Chooch was obv on the juice last year, just like Rollins was in ’07.

21. Yea like Chooch wrote one word of that lame lawyer-speak statement.

22. Hey Gyp, you have a beautiful cock. I saw it a couple episodes ago.

23. Fuck off!!!!
    I Didn’t think Ed was serious. Funny

24. Hrrm. It occurred to me the basis of non-fction is that Chooch did some sort of PED last season, which explains his career year. Hrrm. Cheater

25. I bet He stole them from Shane Victorno. SMDH that Chooch is a drug addict & let down all the kids who adore him. POS

26. Amended

27. All those mudpeople they’re all on the fucking potweed

28. Mr. TJ,
    Of course I was being serious. Unlike you, I am an adult who cares about society and the well being of others. There is absolutely nothing remotely humorous about a drug addict, cheater who on the surface portrays himself to be someone who he is not. There is absolutely nothing remotely humorous about disgracing the game that we all love and cherish. There is absolutely nothing remotely humorous about the continued lack of accountability that is plaguing professional sports. Mr. TJ, I recommend that you look deep into a mirror and reassess who you want to be in life. I, like the majority of the forum members, are deeply disappointed in your continual childish remarks. Thank you for your time.

29. Mr. Murphy- Hear hear

30. Many football players also take Adderall to help them be on point for their practices and games, as I saw on the post-game report after last night’s Monday Night Football broadcast. I believe in taking vitamins to obtain optimum health. I don’t agree with sports players taking enhancements to get an extra edge on their game. All sports should have an “Approved Supplement List” that has all the standard vitamins plus any extra supplements that are approved for each sport, of course with a research panel that continuously updates the list. Also visit my Distributor website of what I believe is the most powerful health supplement because it stops the root cause of over 200 diseases and aging http://www.tiny.cc/brians thanks, love, peace! This is your health n wealth blessing right here, at least check it out! http://www.tiny.cc/brians

31. I used to snort adderall in college. Gives you a nice mental edge while trying to get pussy

32. I used to snort adderall in college. Gives you a nice mental edge while trying to get pussy

33. “Wild” Bill Soreman November 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Edward Murphy is always educating. The guy really cares. I’d pay too dollar to see a video of one of his protests at a flyers game. He sort of reminds me of Charles Manson.

34. 3 Finger Lenny can educate you on how to keep the wig on your head while you’re sucking shlong in a moving car

35. At least half of you cock suckers abuse some sort of drug.. who gives a fuck! Gyp will pay for stealing my desk!

36. You all are some crazy motha fuckas.

37. He probably just had a lot of homework to do.

38. The Burrell Shuffell November 28, 2012 at 8:48 am

Im prolly out on my own here, but I dont give a s*** about drugs or roids. I want to see the strongest, fastest, quickest, biggest players hit balls farther, react to plays quicker, and throw the ball harder than everyone else on the planet. If a player wants to do coke/speed/Adderall or, yes, even PEDs, he should be allowed.
    I dont have any kids…so that mindset may change, but i watch sports for entertainment and always have. Sports figures should never be “heroes” unless they are a hero outside of sports. Real heroes are soldiers, police, fire/first responders…doctors…good parents or guardians… people actually making a difference in someone’s life protecting us, saving lives, and positively impacting our future. im passionate about my teams and i spend a lot of money watching them play and sporting their jerseys, but ive never, even as a kid, idolized them. i always considered my father my hero, and still do as he’s a great man, but the thought of looking up to athletes gleefully for anything outside of watching their swings to mimic them at the plate? Come on. Maybe i was just more mature than most kids.
    I do think poorly of a player that uses PEDs, since it’s an unfair advantage over those abiding by the rules, but i disagree completely WITH those rules. Let EVERYONE juice or abuse drugs (i know you can’t “allow” illegal drug use, but i believe in drug legalization) IF they so choose.
    And i know kids will always look up at sports stars favorably, just as i did, but they shouldnt be looking to them for role models unless they would be role models outside of sports. Period. Just because they make a lot of money being an entertainer doesnt mean they should automatically be looked up to. Of course they are way better than us at many things, but it doesnt automatically mean they are better role models, and i’d say unless they are the super charitable type like Pujols or something they shouldnt really be looked up to at all. So let em do drugs and be the absolute best that nature, science, and humanity allows.

39. There are plenty of people in the league prescribed the same meds he is suspended for……its not a PED, just a controlled substance. And to all the people saying he’s not a role model. Make sure you down 2 or 3 glasses of scotch before you have that heart to heart with your son. And make sure your wife drinks a bottle of wine before she lets you plow her tonight. Hypocrites……alcohol is far worse than the drugs these guys are being suspended for.

40. I lost all respect for chooch

41. Hamas could probably keep firing rockets for awhile. Of course Hezbollah in 2006 fired I think 3,000 rockets a day though might be wrong on that.

42. Hi, my name is jon I am new to this site, hobbys are building computers, and, electronic kitHey everyone. I’m decent with computers and have been able to solve a lot of my friends’ problems on my own, but I frequently look up answers and learn more and more about how to fix it. I’ve found myself on this website frequently, so i figured after all of this time, I might as well Join!s I am a graduate of highest honors in games design and, also a graduate of computer programming. I am also in to maximium computers magazine, well thats me feel free to post a reply I help with a lot of tech question well good day tech rules!.

43. I do trust all of the ideas you have introduced in your post.

They’re really convincing and can certainly work.
    Still, the posts are very quick for starters.
    Could you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time?

Thanks for the post.

44. I am extremely impressed with your writing
    skills as well as with the layout on your weblog.
    Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare
    to see a great blog like this one these days.

45. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!
    I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later on.
    All the best