Your Monday Morning Roundup: Drowning

Screen Shot 2012-06-25 at 9.48.07 AM
Phillies minor leaguer Justin DeFratus tweeted this pic of Bright House Field after tropical storm Debby proved to be a real downer for baseball

Things… are not going well. For a moment this weekend, it looked like the Phillies may have been slowly turning a corner. They had played well over the last five games, there was a growing legend about Jonathan Papelbon paying Jim Thome $5,000, and Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee were scheduled to take the mound for a Sunday doubleheader.

It didn’t go well.

The Phillies lost both those games– the bullpen choked one up for Hamels and Lee once again put himself in a hole early.

I guess you can say the Phils are drowning right now.

Consider that last line an awful transition to talk about fish, because Ms. CB and I bought one this weekend– his name is Clarke and he wears number 16.

We walked into the pet store just to look (look!) at dogs, but we wound up eyeing rabbit food for the bunny that’s always in our backyard, were nearly sidetracked into buying a kitten… and came home with a fish. Now I have a co-worker, someone to bounce ideas off of. And he recommended this lovely, loosely contstructed water motif for the Monday Morning Roundup.

Let’s hit it.

But first, a word from our sponsors

WILL FERRELL MOVIE QUIZZO. Thursday night. 8 p.m. Drinker’s Tavern in Old City (2nd and Market). Locations here.

– The MLB All-Star batting practice jerseys are out now, and BC Sports is the place to get them. Click here to get your customized, authentic 2012 MLB All-Star game batting practice jersey.

Buy 2, Get 1 FREE on Philly Phaithful t-shirts. May we recommend the K Lot All-Stars and Kimmo Timo, The Beer With The Best Finnish jams. Shop here.

The roundup

– The Flyers traded James van Riemsdyk.

– Charlie Manuel was not happy with reporters questioning his decision to put Antonio Bastardo in the first game yesterday: [CSN Philly]

“You guys ought to sit in the dugout with me during the game and give me all the scenarios because I don’t think we know them,” Manuel said sarcastically. “We don’t know how to manage a game. Really, you guys ought to sit down there with us or tweet or something and float the information down there to me because I’m not smart enough to get it.”

– CB was heavily featured in a lengthy SportsWeek article by Zach Berman this weekend. It focuses on how local blogs have quickly become part of the mainstream in Philly. We’ll have a link to the story when it goes online on Wednesday. For now, though, you can admire my wrinkled green hipster v-neck:

Screen Shot 2012-06-25 at 9.57.09 AM

– On Friday night, Paul Holmgren told reporters not to expect a trade before July 1. Less than 24 hours later, JVR was sent to Toronto.

– Jonathan Papelbon offered $5,000 to anyone who could walk it off on Saturday. Jim Thome took him up on it, asked for check (though he says he never got it). Larry Andersen nearly called the shot.

Chase Utley may be back on Wednesday.

– Yinzers booed the Flyers and the next Mike Richards on Friday night.

Joe Amendola likes to have fun here.

– Jeff Carter spent the weekend in Sea Isle.

Flyers beat writer Sam Carchidi says he’s hearing that Carter won’t bring Cup to Sea Isle, but instead will take it home to Canada. That’s a sad.

Screen Shot 2012-06-25 at 9.36.35 AM

– Jordan Staal was traded by the Penguins during his wedding on Friday night.

– When locked up in December, inmates serenaded Jerry Sandusky with Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone.

– Italy beat England in Euro 2012 and one fan showed his penis.

Pedobear liked the Jerry Sandusky verdict.

• .. June 25, 2012 at 10:14 am

Congrats on the SportsWeek article Kyle!

• Doug from Grillers June 25, 2012 at 10:17 am

can only imagine all the nice comments on that cb philly.com article

• Hanke June 25, 2012 at 10:17 am

I told you, don’t let Costanza borrow your shirts. His head is huge!

• J.T. June 25, 2012 at 10:37 am

Debby Does Florida

• Rock Bottom June 25, 2012 at 10:42 am

I am hoping the fish helps this sorry blog because its taking a nose dive…
    Rock Bottom

• Kyle Scott June 25, 2012 at 12:17 pm

you mean “taken a nose dive” or, you expect it to take a nose dive? can’t tell.

• MM June 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Jeff carter huh? zzzzz…zzzzzzzz…zzzzzzzzzzzzz…

• Rock Bottom June 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Actually there is no real nose dive anymore Kyle…pretty much already at rock bottom.
    Good news though, hopefully there is only going up from here…right?
    Too far behind on stories, half your stories have become pointless ramblings (Romney Wawas? Really? Twitter shout outs? Come on)or you just copy and paste from other sites, your love for certain players is beyond creepy at this point (and that alters your ability to reason with anyone that disagrees with you), and your pathetic effort to put people in their place by dissecting emails? Terrible…but hey this site really is just your opinion so who am I to criticize…I mean in the end me visiting every once in a while is only helping you pay the bills so in the end you win…
    Shame I used to enjoy this site…
    Good luck
    Rock Bottom

• B-Rad G from the 'Roux June 25, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I enjoy this blog.

• samara nicoya June 25, 2012 at 2:56 pm

yes, your blog is similar to OMG…. who fucking cares about half the shit you put on here. Sports… Crossing Broad, which I’ve done thousands of times to see my teams in sporting events. Not about some fucking whores dressing up to go shag hockey players at the fucking draft. and all the Tweets!? You should have your manhood taken away just for being a part of Twitter, you twat!
    And get over the Jeff Carter and Mike Richards thing already, both teams benefitted from the trades, Flyers would NOT have won the cup with the former Phantom, Flyers duo…the Kings were built to win, esp. with Quick in net.
    And who puts a photo up of the article about themselves and shows it to everyone on their site? oh I guess you do. You don’t have to prove to us your site exists, it’s right here in front of me sucking, so everyone can see.
    I’ll be starting my own Philly sports blog, and I will be stealing your readers, because you’ve taken philly sports to philly bullshit gossip and gayer than two guys fucking headlines about…..well gayness. Not that there’s anything wrong with being gay.

• Doug Kinney June 25, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I like pizza, I liiiiike it

• She touched my pepe, Steve June 26, 2012 at 6:45 am

We’re gonna need a cage.

• don'treaditifyoudontlikeit June 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Good luck with that, samara nicoya