Jason Babin is famous… for being terrible at his job, pic via (@bjeter25)
Since Andy Reid’s firing is an inevitability, I’ve decided to pre-write the lede, this way I’m prepared if it happens during the season. It’s sort of like a Mad Lib, only if Mad Libs were head-shaking blog posts about the awful state of your local NFL team. Here’s what I got:
It’s over. The Eagles have fired Andy Reid, the team announced today. The final straw was the Eagles’ most recent loss, a ___-___ ass-kicking by the _____. ____ will take over as interim head coach, though the team will presumably look at other candidates for next season.
In a statement released by the team, Jeffrey Lurie said: _______________.
This was Reid’s 14th year with the Eagles. He finishes his time here with a ___-___ record, five NFC Championship appearances and one Super Bowl appearance. He only won only one of those six games.
That should do, at least initially.
Let’s hit it.
But first, a word from our sponsors:
- Our friends at Drinker’s West offer a $10 all-you-can-eat tailgate menu every Sunday. Combined with $8 pitchers, you can literally eat, drink and include a nice tip for your ‘tender for $25.
Also, next month is Christmas movie quizzo. December 12. Drinker’s Tavern in Old City (2nd and Market). 8:30 p.m. Home Alone, Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, and Elf.
Congrats to this month’s winners, Our Team Name is Judge:
- Meet Chase Utley. He will be signing autographs at the Sports Vault in the King of Prussia Mall on Saturday, December 8 from 1 – 3:30.
Donovan McNabb doesn’t seem so bad anymore, does he? Get his autograph at the Sports Vault in the King of Prussia Mall on Saturday, January 5 from 1 – 2:30. Makes a great Christmas gift for the deprived Eagles fan in your life.
- The G shirt. Grab one before they sells out… or before G gets injured again in Germany and has to return to the states as a broken mess:
Playing in the German mayor league (DEL) is not harmless at all not even for NHL Lockoutplayers. In the yesterdays game between Eisbären Berlin (Giroux and Briere) and Krefeld Pinguine (Christian Ehrhoff) Claude Giroux got hurt and was brought to he hospital. It happened in the 2nd period of the game. His cervical spine was overstretched after he got hit by another player.
Observers are sure his head was hit but there where no penalties given. The Eisbären Berlin applied for an investigation procedure and sent the video of the scene. The German League will check the situation. After the medical examination Giroux was able to leave the hospital but he will not play in Cologne (against Kölner Haie – with Coach Uwe Krupp) tomorrow.
- On Saturday, Seravalli, writing for SportsWeek, quoted sources that said Ed Snider was extremely unhappy with Gary Bettman’s handling of negotiations. Snider strongly disagreed with the report and sent a statement to the Daily News calling the report “erroneous.” He told others it was a “fabrication.”
Andrew Bynum's sweet gloves, pic via (@MattMcLaughlin9)
- Speaking of (accused) shoddy reporting… the Wilmington News Journal has an exclusive story today in which a doctor, who has no involvement with Andrew Bynum or his injury, said that the Sixers center could require surgery. It’s a reasonable theory, but the story’s headline, “Evidence shows Bynum likely out for season,” is a gross exaggeration. Relevant story, but completely misleading.
- A source told CBS Philly’s Spike Eskin that the Sixers are unhappy with Bnyum. Eskin pointed out that it was odd how the Sixers sent Bynum out this weekend to give updates on his knee. I agree.
- Marcus Vick, who may be in jail right now (no, really), who was supposedly going to censor himself after requesting a trade for his brother, fired this bad boy out into the ether this morning. About Reid? Probably.
- 97.5’s Harry Mayes chided Evan Turner on Saturday, telling him to work on his J instead of watching the Ohio State basketball game. Turner’s response?
- Jason Babin’s appearance on the cover of the Washington Post may have helped him to a net gain in his Twitter following:
What a tone deaf, lunkhead.
That's a sentiment with which most of you agree. Check out the responses to Babin:
- LeSean McCoy has a concussion because Andy Reid is stupid and left him in during garbage time. Reid’s reasoning? “Because we were trying to catch up and win the game.”
The Eagles were losing 31-6 at the time, with under two minutes to play in the game.
- Finally, this Joe and Casey Conklin parody of Taylor Swift’s We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, We Are Never Ever Gonna Win With Andy, is perfect.
Notice that Eagles logos are absent in the video and jerseys are turned inside out? The original video, which briefly showed up on YouTube two weeks ago, was shot outside Lincoln Financial Field with Casey in an Eagles jersey. The video was quickly removed and replaced with this sans-licensed-product version. You can probably deduce why. Must-watch video after the jump. Casey actually has an amazing voice.