After months of legislative planning, departmental meetings and public discussion, Arizona online sports betting has officially launched in time for the NFL season.
The Arizona Department of Gaming awarded its first 20 sports betting licenses – eight to professional sports organizations and 10 to Arizona Tribes – and kicked off its sports betting program at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday, Sept. 9. The sports betting licenses allow for online and in-person sports betting in the state.
Approved Arizona Sports Betting Licenses
The Arizona Department of Gaming received eight sports teams/organization applications for sports betting licenses. Here are the winning Arizona professional sports franchises and their sportsbook operator partnerships:
- Arizona Coyotes (no partnership announced)
- Phoenix Mercury (Bally’s)
- Arizona Cardinals and Arizona Gila River casino properties (BetMGM)
- Arizona Diamondbacks (Caesars)
- TPC Scottsdale (DraftKings)
- Phoenix Suns (FanDuel Sportsbook)
- Phoenix Raceway (Penn National Gaming/Barstool Sportsbook)
- Arizona Rattlers (Rush Street Interactive)
FanDuel, Caesars, DraftKings, BetMGM and Penn National Gaming/Barstool Sportsbook have all announced deals for retail sportsbooks with their respective partners.
- FanDuel Sportsbook will open a sportsbook at the Footprint Center, home of the Phoenix Suns. The luxury retail sportsbook is expected to be open for the 2021-2022 season.
- Caesars Sportsbook will open a retail sportsbook at Chase Field, home of the Arizona Diamondbacks, and are currently taking bets at Chase Field ticket windows 21 through 25. There will also be five betting kiosks opening on the north side of the plaza outside the stadium before the sportsbook is open for business.
- DraftKings will open a sportsbook at TPC Scottsdale.
- Penn National Gaming/Barstool Sportsbook will open a sportsbook at the Phoenix Raceway.
- BetMGM plans to open a sportsbook at State Farm Stadium, home of the Arizona Cardinals, with a targeted opening in time for the 2022 NFL season.
The department received 16 qualified tribal applicants. The department awarded the 10 licenses based on a set of 19 criteria, including gaming experience and track record of the applicant. Here are the winning tribal casino applicants and their sportsbook operator partnerships:
- Ak-Chin Indian Community (Fubo Gaming)
- Tonto Apache Tribe (Churchill Downs)
- San Juan Southern Paiute Tribe (Digital Gaming)
- Ft. McDowell Yavapai Nation (BetFred)
- Hualapai Tribe (Golden Nugget)
- Navajo Nation (no partnership announced)
- Fort Mojave Indian Tribe (SuperBook Sports)
- Tohono O’odham Nation (no partnership announced)
- Quechan Tribe (Unibet Arizona)
- San Carlos Apache Tribe (WynnBet)
Arizona’s Licensed Fantasy Sports Operators
Here are the currently licensed fantasy sports operators in the state:
- Fantasy Sports Shark
- Underdog Sports
The Arizona Cardinals open their season on Sunday, Sept. 12, at 1 p.m. EST at the Tennessee Titans.