Swing and a Miss, Howard Eskin

Kyle Scott —  April 5, 2013 — 19 Comments

Howard_eskinI don’t get it. Howard Eskin was usually spot-on with information (Flyers injuries, Eagles). Most of you don’t like him, but I never minded him– grating, but good, he was. But his 2013 isn’t off to hot start: Andy Reid to Arizonahockey season being over, called a dumbass by Curt Schilling, said Erin Andrews being filmed nude in her hotel room was the greatest thing to happen to her, jumped the gun on Nnamdi, laughed at by Cary Williams.

And it’s only April.

You can add another one to the list.

For some reason, Eskin tried to weigh in on Sidney Crosby taking one to the face (a puck, that is):

Yeah, no.

From Puck Daddy comes this report from Rob Rossi of the Tribune-Review:

Captain Sidney Crosby visited with teammates and Penguins personnel on Thursday, prior to an optional practice at Consol Energy Center. Crosby did not speak with reporters, but teammates reported him to again be in good spirits. He had surgery to repair a broken jaw and a dental procedure since taking a puck to the face in the Penguins’ home win over the New York Islanders on Saturday afternoon. Crosby likely will require at least one more dental procedure to fix his teeth, but his jaw is not wired shut and he continues to show no concussion symptoms. Crosby has not resumed off-ice workouts and is out indefinitely.

Eskin, usually pretty good with Flyers injuries at least, is once again wrong about a hockey-related story. Puck Daddy also points out the time Eskin claimed James van Riemsdyk was intentionally holding up a trade.

To Eskin’s credit, though, he was fairly spot-on with the Bynum thing.

Kyle Scott

Posts Twitter Facebook Google+

Editor

19 responses to Swing and a Miss, Howard Eskin

1. I don’t know that he’s wrong because Shero and Crosby’s agent came out and said it. They could be misdirecting. Plus, Howard said it was something he had heard. He didn’t say it was something to take to the bank…

2. President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho April 5, 2013 at 11:51 am

Okay, two stories with gigantic head shots are enough! I don’t ever want to feel like I am face to face with Eskin. EVER!

3. He said inside sources told him Peyton Manning was going to the Redskins last year. I think a day later he was a Bronco.

4. Agreed, Bill. I wouldn’t say he is wrong until that pussy Crosby is back on the ice this year. Just because puck daddy says something doesn’t mean it’s true. And just because Eskin says something doesn’t mean it’s true. We’ll have to wait and see but until he plays again, Eskin can’t be called wrong.

5. He could be right and the Pens brass could be lying. Phillies downplay injuries too. And the Sixers. And the Flyers. Let’s add the Eagles too.

6. Candy from the Oak April 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Didn’t Howard cause a murder

7. Murray from Mayfair April 5, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Shero said the same thing about Sidney. Stop picking on the King

8. Howard also said there was 0% chance T.O. would come here, and we know how that worked out. Dude is old and tired. At this point, I think trolls are just feeding him falso info. He needs to check “his sources”.

9. eskin is annoying, and dumb a lot of the times, but he’s not the only one saying this

10. John “Poopy Pants” Bolaris April 5, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Kyle you owe me a new monitor because I punched my current one and broke it. Please for the love of God (or god if you don’t believe), never post a picture that large of that jackass again.

11. The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you!

12. Your starfish April 5, 2013 at 2:04 pm

No mention of Gargano making up a story in Philly mag?

• Gargano is a man-ape who sounds autistic. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but I think that’s enough for anyone to dislike him.

13. Yea, Kyle. There’s absolutely NO possibility that Sidney Crosby’s agent, along with members of the Penguin’s organization, are downplaying the severity of a head injury to a player who has literally missed seasons’ worth of play because of concussion issues. I’m sure they would be completely honest about their star player, hell their entire brand, being unable to play not only for the rest of their playoff tear, but possibly next season too.

I’m no fan of Eskin, and I’m not saying he’s right, but your smug dismissal of his report is a bit much.

14. Pretty sure he was right about the Erin Andrews thing.

• i agree. that peephole vid moved her up a few tiers. check out this vid. she gives this kid a nasty stare down at 2:45 and then calls him out at the 3-minute mark.

15. Murray from Mayfair April 6, 2013 at 9:13 am

I just talks to Howard and he agrees with me about my dodgers . How you all forget to mention fat slob Anthony garganio is never right from his so called sources. Phillies a 3rd base team

16. Howard Eskin is a complete fucking asshat. Why anyone listens to a word he says is beyond me. The fact that you would defend him on anything puts serious doubts to anything else you say on this blog. (And that you constantly hawk Chickies and Petes, hands-down one of the most horrible places anyone can go to take a shit, much less eat and drink, doesn’t improve matters.)