Rumors: B.J. Upton, Jon Gruden Likes Nick Foles, Charles Barkley Retiring?

Screen Shot 2012-11-09 at 9.42.26 AM
First up, B.J. Upton. According to a report from CSN’s Jim Salisbury, the Phillies are quite interested in Upton: [CSNPhilly.com]

A number of executives at the GM meetings said they believed the Phillies to be serious players for Upton. One executive said signing Upton was the Phils’ priority.

An executive from a team that has probed the outfield market predicted that Upton would at first look for a seven-year deal worth between $13 million and $16 million annually. The executive said it would probably take five years to get Upton and that the team that stepped up with a sixth year would probably land him. Amaro has confirmed that Upton is “a candidate” for the Phils’ opening in centerfield, but, citing policy, won’t comment further.

“The asking prices are always very high early,” said Amaro, speaking in general about the current state of the free-agent market. “Once you get signings that set markets, they tend to get higher or lower depending on the quality of the player and needs.”

After a season of shit, the offseason may provide some much needed entertainment. Charlie Manuel and, to a lesser extent, Amaro are on seats with varying degrees of warmth. The Phillies have to make some sort of significant move or signing if they want to compete for a World Series. Status quo won’t cut it this year.

Upton makes the most sense– he’s 28, has speed and power, though he doesn’t hit for average. He’s essentially a developed Dom Brown, or, at least what we thought Brown could be.

Gruden: LA Times reporter Sam Farmer spoke with Jon Gruden. Guess which young quarterback Gruden likes, a lot? Nick Foles: [LA Times, via Philly Mag]

I had  Nick Foles in the preseason against New England. Michael Vick got hurt on the fifth or sixth play, and Foles went the distance, on the road in Foxborough. If you like prototype pocket passers with some functional mobility and a tremendous amount of toughness, Foles is interesting.

What really impressed me in the preseason was they weren’t running generic formations. They ran about 30 different formations out of about eight different personnel groupings in successive plays. So I see him recognizing coverages. I see him getting to second and third receivers, just like you’d want a quarterback to do in that system, and I love his NFL size. He reminds me a lot of Brad Johnson, from his football character to his ability to decipher a lot quickly, and we won a championship with Brad.

[Video of Gruden and Foles together, after the jump.]

An interview with Charles Barkley in Sports Illustrated contained this interesting nugget from Chuck:

“I love my job,” Barkley said. “I love the people I work with. And I’m going to try to do things to keep me engaged. But I have four years left on my current deal and to be honest with you, it’s going to be a struggle for me to make it for the whole four years. I really don’t know how much longer I’m going to do this. I need something more, or something else to do to be honest with you.”

So, last night, the NBA on TNT folks held a mock retirement for Barkley, starting some Twitter rumors that he’s retiring. He’s not. Not now, at least. That video, and Gruden with Foles, after the jump.

1. can barkley coach the eagles ?

2. Where’s the Gruden & Foles video?

3. Candy from the Oak

November 9, 2012 at 9:58 am

Sir Charles started the whole black athlete banging white women and the disgrace that comes with it

4. That’s too much for BJ Upton…Now Justin on the other hand…

5. sorry not sure what happened there. up now

6. Candy- No black athlete ever banged a white chick until Charles? I didn’t know that, what a trailblazer. I guess Wilt’s 10,000 ladies were all sisters.

7. and he listened to sister by nixon while banging all 10 grand

8. I’ll give upton a BJ! PS thanks for 4 more years of no work but the most money while i sit on my couch and dont look for a job! You guys sure are tart carts!

9. Hacksaw Jim Duggan HOOOOO

November 9, 2012 at 10:27 am

I like BJ Upton he still has some upside…..However you cant overpay for him just to say you got somebody look at the Giants and Cards they always find cheaper vets who fit in the mix…..I have seen the Foles and Gruden video before and you can tell Chucky has a boner for him so i say to MR. LURIE FIRE ANDY MONDAY trade MV7 and let future begin now why wait??? HOOOOOOOO Koko B Ware’s Mom says hi USA USA USA

10. Candy from the Oak

November 9, 2012 at 10:49 am

@ ozzy. Wilt stuck to his own kind

11. No to lazy bj upton. Another pop up machine

12. I’d much rather see them explore a trade for the other Upton, Justin.

13. The Godfather from 97.5

November 9, 2012 at 11:03 am

@Candy-
    Get some facts & come back & see me

14. Nick Foles should cut his fucking hair. Then, and only then, will Jon Gruden lead him and the Eagles to multiple Super Bowls.

15. Frankie B, Lets date, if you know what i mean…I bet upton voted for foodstamp mcgee for prez! That’s who all the lazy’s voted for!

16. Kyle, is there anything you can do about the trash comments that people post on your blog?

17. @Will It’s the only reason I even look at the page on a busy day. I love the internet, because anger is never hidden.
    Anyway, Pirates get BJ Upton, and win a World Series in 2013.
    I’M TAWM SMITH AND I APPROVE THIS MESSIJ!

18. Candy from the Oak

November 9, 2012 at 11:48 am

I don’t count Asians as white

19. I would miss Charles a lot. what will he do? Become a golf pro? Or run for Governor of Alabama as he said he would do, when he was a very young player.

20. Will, stay the fuck off this site if u don’t like the comments. You wine & cheese pussy

21. “Hey Nick, listen, i think your special. I mean just great. Honestly I think you should be the starter. Now loosen that belt, bend over and lets get down to business. Gru-dawgs got a stiffy.”

22. daniel griffoni

November 9, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Will, lets go to the back seat of my jeep and do the hippity skippity, if you know what i mean…

23. I dont think Gruden is the answer.
    OAK 1998 – 8 and 8
    OAK 1999 – 8 and 8
    OAK 2000- 12 and 4
    OAK 2001- 10 and 6
    TB 2002- 12 and 4
    TB 2003- 7 and 9
    TB 2004- 5 and 11
    TB 2005- 11 and 5
    TB 2006- 4 and 12
    TB 2007- 9 and 7
    TB 2008- 9 and 7

24. The gay looking G shirt

November 9, 2012 at 2:54 pm

He is an awful drafter too