Cliff Lee Pisses Copious Amounts of Excellence, Takes Loss

Photo credit: Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports

Photo credit: Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports

The Phillies are in mid-season form– squandering golden-streamed opportunities because they can’t hit.

In front of 23,382, Lee pitched nine innings and struck out 13 while scattering 11 hits, one walk and one run. He threw 85 of his career-high 128 pitches for strikes. He left a steaming pile of pissed excellence on the mound. He took the loss. It’s the second time in five starts, dating back to his final start of the season last year, that he struck out 13 Braves and lost 1-0.

Here’s Lee on being sent back out for the ninth even though he was over 100 pitches:

“I felt strong on the last pitch and I felt strong on the first pitch,” Lee said. “That’s what you want to do, you want to be a guy that they’re going to let go back out there after you’ve thrown 100-plus pitches and pitch the ninth inning. That’s what I expect to do and I’m glad they allow me to do that. That’s what I work in the offseason for and prepare my body to do, so it’s not anything that’s that crazy to me.”

Love that quote. Lee and Chase Utley might be the only two baseball players on the team right now.

And indeed Lee was as strong on the last pitch as he was the first. From Brooks Baseball:

Voila_Capture 2014-04-17_08-48-16_AMFastballs in the low 90s, breaking pitches in the mid 70s, all night long, like a Lionel Richie song. His consistency and precision, also excellent:

Voila_Capture 2014-04-17_08-49-33_AM

Look at the fade on his two-seam fastballs (sinkers) and changeups. A one-foot tail on those babies.

It used to be fun to write about Lee’s brilliance is melodramatic prose, to wax mythical about our favorite steed. But no longer. I don’t even think anyone cares. Did anyone watch? If there’s a two and a half hour pitchers’ duel in a freezing ballpark in April and no one is there to see it, does it really happen?

The Phils managed a whopping [breaks out calculator] three hits – all singles – against Julio Teheran, who also pitched quite well. Awesome.

1. That Annoying Cunt Flo from the progressive commercials

April 17, 2014 at 9:11 am

I knew they hate no shot of hitting when Ben revere came to the plate dressed for a blizzard.
    They can never fucking hit pitchers they face for the 1st time. I hate this team

• Those charts in the post are friggin stupid. Just watch the game and you saw how good he was. Too many stats and nonsense in baseball these days.

• I totally agree. I never look at advanced stats. I just have scouts who watch games, and it’s worked out great!

• Mr Bob Dobolina

April 17, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Yes, I agree. Please dumb down your content. I don’t want to have to draw any conclusions on my own. Visual representation of data that help you understand a players performance are stupid.

Please just tell me what I think.

• If you cant watch a game and tell if a player is doing well or not then you are clueless. Also you dont know sports and should spend less time in fantasy leagues and more time in reality.

2. That Annoying Cunt Flo from the progressive commercials

April 17, 2014 at 9:12 am

Had* fuck

3. Nice to see Cliff isn’t hurting his trade value.

4. Walter Sobchak

April 17, 2014 at 9:23 am

Painful to watch.

5. Question is, did YOU watch the game?

Look at Jimmy Rollins career stats and tell me he’s not a baseball player. Typical Philadelphia bullshit where we complain about a player his whole career and kiss his ass when he’s gone.

• Shut the fuck up.

Everyone loved Jimmy until he jumped the shark and his ego went completely insane. Talk shit, hit around .250 for five years straight, all while doing dumb shit like not running hard or forgetting the outs like the other night. Yeah what’s not to love?

But keep playing the “I respect Jimmy because I’m a true fan” card, it’s almost as tiring as your dumb Fran Dunphy persona.

6. I was in complete agreement with this article until you mentioned Lionel Richie! He fuckin’ SUCKS! You have to be either female or gay to like him! It was also hilarious to see how many PUSSYS were dressed for a blizzard! Ha! Ha!

7. Utley/Lee/Me/Bukkake

April 17, 2014 at 9:53 am

Man, I was rubbing one out every inning, and I suspect Kyle was, too. You firing blanks by the 9th, too, buddy?

8. Mumia's Innocent

April 17, 2014 at 9:55 am

This game was a severe miscarriage of justice. A travesty.

9. When I was a kid and the Phillies were garbage, I would watch every night anyway.

Now, I was instead watching playoff hockey- Montreal-Tampa Bay was an amazing game. I’d much rather be entertained than be bored for half the game watching the Phils’ “offense.”

10. It’s cute that Phillies fan straight up admit they were bandwagon fans these days

11. And another no-show by the Big Piece of Shit and his .220 average and KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKs
    I hate this fucking team.

12. Hello Everyone, By Saam

April 17, 2014 at 10:12 am

All this praise for Lee and the Braves pitcher was much better. He had a one hitter most of the game.

13. This team is Major League

April 17, 2014 at 10:36 am

Tom McCarthy: For the Phillies…no runs, and let’s see, one hit. Is that all we got, one goddamn hit?

Matt Stairs: You can’t say goddamn on the air.

Tom McCarthy: Don’t worry about it. Nobody’s listening anyway.

14. Can you “media”/blog/pseudo sports writers stop using the phrase “scattered XX hits” please. I swear every inning that Lee pitched, McCarthy started with “Cliff has scattered XX hits so far thru XX innings”. I understand the point of the phrase is that despite giving up a good bit of hits, he didn’t get hurt by them. But its an overplayed phrase.

See also: “stood on his head” when referencing a great goalie performance.

15. sucks phillies couldn’t score runs for Lee. I do recall however that in game #1 they scored 14 runs when Lee gave up 8? It does go both ways sometimes. However it is a pattern that they don’t score runs when he pitches. The phillies offense hasn’t been terrible this season, so maybe the braves pitcher just pitched good.

16. Pitcher's Pub Bouncer

April 17, 2014 at 11:33 am

Sean Brace tried hitting on my girl…he went on about how is on the radio, etc…He refused to take the hint as she ignored him all night. He kept on name dropping all these low level DJ’s name etc…

Long story short…..He wont be hitting on her anymore.