Three Days Later, the Flyers Rise

Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 12.02.08 AM

I tried to write the hackiest Easter headline possible, and I think that was it.

Anyway, huge win. I feel more relief than excitement. Down 2-0, I just wanted to see them get the F out of there with a win or, as Claude Giroux called it, two points. Whatever works. If Claude says it’s two points, it’s two points, God dammit.

Emery

I have been on ferries that made their way across the Hudson faster than Emery made his way to the left post on those first two goals. The first one wasn’t really stoppable, the second one was. Reader Kevin has the jokes:

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 11.18.48 PM

Nice. After that Emery played great. Not well. Great. He made a couple of huge saves to bail the Flyers out, including one when Andrew MacDonald made a boneheaded turnover at the Rangers’ blue line during an ill-advised penalty kill decision.

Now we have a goalie discussion, and I think this should be the answer: If Steve Mason is 100% healthy, then he plays. That’s a huge if, though. By all accounts, he was somewhere around 70% in practice on Saturday. Goalie isn’t a position you just hop back into, either. His timing needs to come back and I’m not sure one more full practice is enough to do that. So Emery should probably get the start. But if Mason is healthy, or when he’s healthy, the job’s his. He played too well all season to Wally Pipp (v.) him in favor of Emery. Playing the hot hand has been what the Flyers have done for two decades in the playoffs. No more. When Mason’s healthy, he plays.

Akeson

Is there a human being alive who would’ve been more relieved to contribute and score a big goal? It was like when Smalls lost the Babe Ruth baseball and then traded it after it was all chewed up for a ball signed by the entire 1927 Yankees team in The Sandlot. Sure, he may have screwed up big time, but boy did he redeem himself. I can only assume that this series ends with Benny The Jet stealing home. And yes, I know that doesn’t make any sense. Just go with it. But for real, why wasn’t Akeson playing all season if he’s such an offensive force? I’m confused.

Orange and Blackbeard™ Line

Finally G, Hartnell and Jake get on the board with Voracek’s goal. Also enjoy reader Nick’s Barry (F’n!) Gibb comparison:

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 11.40.32 PM

I mean, look at this thing:

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 11.42.02 PM

Choke

I am honestly all for G choking McDonagh. At the very least, I like the symbolism:

Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 12.05.27 AM

pic via (@hollywoodhrtman)

Andrew MacDonald, hockey player

Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 12.07.03 AM

Season tickets

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 11.48.26 PM

Did you know you can guarantee access to all playoff games by calling?

Too cute

At least twice that I counted the Flyers got way too cute in the neutral zone. The first time was the aforementioned play by MacDonald following an overly conservative decision to forgo a scoring chance on the penalty kill. They played the puck backwards to MacDonald, who blindly turned it over at the blue line. Another time, someone – I can’t remember who – got careless on a would-be dump-in attempt and played it right to a Rangers defenseman, who was ready to go the other way. Neither play resulted in a goal, but that sort of thing is dangerous. Dump hard or don’t dump at all, is what I say.

I’m going on Tuesday. Pumped. The building will be rocking. In Henrik’s head all night. Tuesday is a G game.

1. Notorious Dick Sucker

April 21, 2014 at 1:04 am

Sure, I’d suck every dick of every Flyer player (and I will), but I just want to mention that I called that the Flyers will win the Cup this year.

Also, your last post made me sad. My girlfriend dumped me 3 days after that Easter (which is why I now suck dick).

2. cous's big hairy butt

April 21, 2014 at 5:20 am

hey jackoff ranger fan, where are you?, i will tea bag you with my big hairy butt in your nose after i eat a extra cheese primo hoagie, awesome man!!!

3. I’d like to welcome the self-hating Flyers fans back. Let me make all of your points for you:
    The 70′s are over.
    Kate Smith is dead.
    The team will never win until Snider dies/sells the team.
    Fire Holmgren.
    The defense sucks.
    1975.
    Dumb culture that values fighting over skill.

Did I miss anything?

4. Cant be a goalie discussion just yet. I agree Mason should go back in once he’s definitely 100%, but that will mean at least 2 or 3 solid practices, where his heads on straight and isn’t pounding like Jeff Carter’s after a night out in Sea Isle. Emery redeemed himself stopping almost 30 in a row to end the game, and heading home he should only gain more confidence. This was the first time all year he had back to back starts so considering he had to do that in the post season and after his performance today he’s earned the spot between the pipes. Until he fudges us considerably and we have no other option than to put Mase back in (Cal Heeter is not an option), Emery gets the nod.

5. Lundqvist played like that fat bitch Rob House, rebounds bouncing off his blubber

• Are you still a virgin?

Lucky win

Rangers in 5!!

• No, neither is your little sister, benchwarmer. Flyers in 6. your goaltender is in a funk and McDonagh’s shoulder is hyrt again. Thats why he couldn’t stop Varocek on that play.

6. Ummm, I go with Mason. Emery is like 43th in sv pct. Mason is 21st with more games under him vs. tougher opponents. Guess who’s 9th best on the list? Yeah, Bob is.

But getting back to my point, I don’t think Emery is good enough and if Mason is 70% healthy, i use him.

7. “Another time, someone – I can’t remember who – got careless on a would-be dump-in attempt and played it right to a Rangers defenseman, who was ready to go the other way.”

Solid evidence here.

• nick papagiorgio

April 21, 2014 at 8:29 am

Are you being sarcastic? If you don’t agree with Kyle, provide evidence to the contrary to contradict his point. Or are you one of these internet tough guy trolls that infests this blog?

8. Time for Heeter

April 21, 2014 at 8:30 am

Mason’s not 100%, and I’m not fully buying Emery’s crap.

Heeter for Game 3.

9. Huge win. Emery was incredible after the first 10 minutes. Gotta stick with him until Mason is truly ready to go. A 70% Mason isn’t worth it. Last thing they need is for him to come back less than healthy, suffer a setback during the game and get yanked after laying an egg.

Hopefully, a win (finally) at MSG will do a lot for this team’s confidence and they come out just as strong, if not stronger, tomorrow night. Can’t wait.

10. Kacie McDonnell's Obnoxious Selfies

April 21, 2014 at 8:51 am

I hope the bring out Ed snider disturbs that fat pig Kate smith & trots her out Tuesday night

11. Steve Jeltz's Cock

April 21, 2014 at 9:14 am

Stay with the thug in net

12. Hey guys, we’re being gay on our NYR blog, we’ll show our fairy faces here again if the Rain-jizz can muster a win again in the series, but they most likely won’t.

13. Great win for the Flyers. No wins at MSG in three years? No problem.

Hold serve at home and they move on to the next round.

If Mason is truly healthy he HAS to start. Emery came up big yesterday, but Mason gives them a much better chance to win. It’s a no-brainer.

Let’s go Flyers!

14. That won’t be ruled a double. If it was played cleanly there’s no way Ryan gets to 2nd. Trust me, I know singles! When I get a hit every other week that’s usually what they are.

15. Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez

April 21, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Fun Fact: Every single actor in the movie “The Sandlot” grew up to be worthless scumbags, except me. I’m still the man.

Heroes get remembered…but legends never die…

Be a legend G. Be a fucking legend.